Parents FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

When is New Student Orientation, and what can my student expect?

New student orientation is August 19-22, 2023, with Residential students moving onto campus on Saturday, August 19. All new students should receive an email with details at the beginning of August! You can also refer to the New Student Roadmap.

What’s the best way for your student to get to know their new community: to jump in and start exploring it themselves, of course! Goucher’s orientation program helps your student connect to their new home and provide the information they need to start their college adventure! It introduces them to college life and what to expect from their first semester at Goucher College.  For more details about orientation, please contact Ms. Michele Hosey, Director for New Student Programs, by emailing

Where can my student get their ID card, email address, parking decal, and more?

ID Cards

Goucher utilizes the OneCard system.  Not only is it your student’s ID, but it’s also a debit card for on-campus spending, a library card, and an electronic "key" for accessing campus buildings. New students will receive instructions and information about the OneCard during the onboarding process and their assigned First-year Mentor (FYM).  The Office of Campus Safety distributes IDs at New Student Orientation.


Email Addresses

Once a student’s deposit is paid, they receive an email from Enrollment about the New Student Roadmap. After a few days, your student will receive another email from the Enrollment office regarding their Goucher email address. Every student has a Goucher email address typically created using their first and last name, e.g., If your student has trouble signing into their Goucher email or Navigate, they need to contact for further assistance.


Parking Decals & Transportation

Goucher College grants students, faculty, and staff the privilege to drive on campus. The privilege assumes that community members abide by Maryland state transportation laws.  Maryland’s Department of Transportation (Motor Vehicle Administration) requires all out-of-state students to obtain a nonresident vehicle permit. The permit fee is $20 and is nonrefundable. Information regarding nonresident permits is available on the Maryland MVA website. Student vehicles must be registered by the end of the second week of classes. Commuting students must comply with the same vehicle registration policy as resident students.  More information about campus parking can be found on our vehicle registration policy page.

Your student doesn’t have a car? No Problem!! Goucher has partnered with the Towson Loop. It’s a free circulator that travels a North to South route and an East to West route.  There are two stops easily accessed from just outside of Goucher’s campus. For more information about the Loop and its route, visit The Loop.


Goucher's Post Office

The Goucher College Post Office is a contract substation of the United States Postal Service (USPS). Their counter service hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, located in the FMS building on campus. The Post Office is open year-round except for campus-wide closures. The USPS picks up outgoing mail at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. The USPS blue mailbox outside the Dorsey Center is picked up at 9:30 a.m., Monday through Saturday. Payment methods for postal products and services are either cash or OneCard. Credit cards, debit cards, or checks are not accepted.

 If you have any questions, call the Goucher College Campus Post Office at 410-337-6129, visit their website, or send an email to


Meal Plans

Students residing on campus must be on a meal plan offered by the college. If you want to change your meal plan, submit your changes online at


Block meal plans offer a flexible combination of meals and dining dollars for you to use at your convenience during the semester.

Blocks can be used in the Mary Fisher Dining Center for an all-you-care-to-eat meal. Dining dollars are a cash equivalent used at all campus dining facilities (certain restrictions apply to commercially prepared packages and retail products). The plan also allows you to purchase a value meal at Alice's Restaurant (certain items are excluded from value meals).


Meals are made available in the Mary Fisher Dining Center in the kosher area called Nosh. Students with this plan also may eat meals at Alice's Restaurant.


This plan is a flexible combination of meals and dining dollars for commuting students and students who live off campus. Blocks can be used for an all-you-care-to-eat meal in the Mary Fisher Dining Center or to purchase a value meal at Alice's Restaurant.


View meal plan pricing for more information.

My student is living away from home for the first time.  What can they expect?

As a residential liberal arts college, Goucher recognizes that learning also occurs outside the classroom. In 2016 we completed the first building of our First-Year Village, Pagliaro Selz Hall, and in 2018 we added two more state-of-the-art residence halls, Fireside, and Trustees. We strive to match your living situation with your learning goals, including the option of special interest housing like the Language House, where residents share a focus on foreign languages. 

Each house is assigned a resident assistant (RA) — a student who lives in the house, functions as a peer adviser and is the initial contact person to assist students with problems and concerns. In addition, they can help students find appropriate professional resources on and off campus. To find out more, visit Residential Life and their FAQs.

If my student is sick, where should they go?

If your student is sick, they should visit Goucher’s Student Health Center.  It is an outpatient primary health care facility that provides comprehensive medical care for acute and stable chronic illnesses, preventative medical care, and health education services. The center is located on the first floor of the main lobby of the Heubeck building. 

To make an appointment or if you have a question for the nurse or nurse practitioner, email or call us at or 410-337-6050.  Goucher’s Student Health Center hours of operation are 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday when classes are in session. In case of an emergency, please contact the Office of Campus Safety at 410-337-6111 or emergency services at 911.

What types of Wellness Services are available to students?

In addition to our Wellness Center, Goucher also has a Student Counseling Center, Peer Educators, and much more.  Visit our Living Well page to see everything that we have to offer on campus as well as available outside resources.

Who should I contact to notify my student if I have an emergency?

The Office of Campus Safety can be reached at 410-337-6111. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If they cannot immediately assist you, they will be able to direct your call to someone who can!

How does my student register for classes?

Before registering for courses, students are encouraged to meet with their advisor. In addition, students may register online through myGoucher.

Please visit the Registration Information and Dates page for detailed information.

What do I need to know about Goucher’s grading system?

Most importantly, please understand that you cannot see your student’s grades unless they permit you to do so. Scores and grades on papers and exams, progress in a course, deficiencies in a subject area, etc., are all personally identifiable information that make up part of the student's education record. This information is protected under the Family Educational Rights, and Privacy Act of 1974, and parents cannot have access to this information unless their student has provided written consent to release this information.


Academic Standing

At the end of every semester, your students’ grades are reviewed to determine their academic standing at the college. Students need to have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) to remain in good academic standing.

The grade point average table below states the minimum standards for cumulative GPA based on Goucher work only. GPA listed below applies to all students entering Goucher:

Credits Attempted




Minimum GPA to remain in good standing




Minimum GPA to remain at Goucher





Academic Status Categories

Depending on the GPA achieved, your student could find themselves in one of the following academic status categories:

  1. Good Academic Standing: When a student earns a 2.0 cumulative GPA or above. Students in Good Academic Standing may receive an Academic Warning when a student with a satisfactory cumulative GPA receives two or more failing grades or earns a semester GPA below 2.00. For first semester first-year students only, the GPA for academic warning falls between 1.80 and 1.99. See Warning below for more information.
  2. Academic Probation: When a student earns a cumulative GPA below that required to remain in good standing. For first semester first-year students only, the GPA for academic probation falls between 1.60 and 1.79. See Probation below for more information.
  3. Academic Suspension: When a student earns a cumulative GPA below that required to remain at Goucher for two or more consecutive semesters. See Suspension below for more information.
  4. Academic Dismissal: if a student is suspended for the second time, the student may be dismissed.

An academic warning does not affect your student’s status at Goucher, but it should alert them that we are concerned for their academic standing and progress and that they should take steps to address the issues.


All students on probation must enroll in a 2-credit Learn-to-Learn course the following semester. In this course, they will learn essential skills for success in college and apply what they learn in this class to their other classes. They will not incur additional costs for this course. This course will also allow them to attain good academic standing sooner, as it is credit-bearing.

Their academic record will be automatically reviewed at the end of the following semester. If a student achieves a cumulative GPA of 2.0 with no F grade, your student will return to good academic standing. On the other hand, if your student’s performance does not improve, they risk academic suspension.

Students on academic probation may have up to two semesters to achieve good academic standing. A student on academic probation may not hold an elected office in any College organization, compete in any varsity sport, or register for more than 16 credit hours in a semester.


Suspended students must leave the college but may return to Goucher after completing 12 credits hours of course work (excluding summer and winter school) at another college or university with no grade below a C. Or, students may be reinstated after one year of full-time employment and submission of a letter from the employer stating the dates of employment and quality of work. To request to return to the college, students need to complete a Reinstatement Form (PDF).


Your student can appeal an academic status decision

If your student currently holds an office in Student Government or is a varsity athlete, they may wish to appeal this decision to continue to remain active.

Your student must submit the appeal in writing to the Associate Provost’s Office by the deadline specified in the academic standing letter. It should reflect upon and identify what led to their lack of academic success and present actions, behavioral changes, and supports/resources they can take advantage of to achieve sustained academic success. The Appeals Committee will review their appeal, which consists of faculty serving on the Academic Policies Committee. APC meets in a closed session after every semester to review written appeals.


If my student needs to withdraw from College, what is the procedure, and will tuition be reimbursed?

There are various reasons why a student may need to take a leave of absence from Goucher or withdraw from the College.  Below are the steps that they will need to take.


Information & Forms

The designated office for receiving and processing requests for leaves of absence and withdrawal, including mid-semester withdrawals and withdrawals from the college, is the Office of the Registrar. However, students who are considering a leave of absence or withdrawal are strongly recommended to meet with their advisor or the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies before formally applying, and the Dean of Students & Associate Vice President for Student Affairs if the student is considering a medical withdrawal. In addition, students should familiarize themselves with refund deadlines, financial liability for tuition and fees, and college housing.


Leave of Absence

Students in good academic and financial standing may request a leave of absence until the end of the Add/Drop period (day 10 into the semester). The request can be made for either one or two semesters. They will receive registration information at the appropriate time in the semester preceding their return and are responsible for all deadlines.  Students are limited to a total of two semesters of leave of absence during the pursuit of their undergraduate degree at Goucher. 


Semester Withdrawal

After the add/drop period has ended and before week 10, students can withdraw and receive a "W" in their courses. Students should submit a Semester Withdrawal form. Students who are unable to return the following semester should submit a Leave of Absence or Official Withdrawal From the College form. 


Medical Leave of Absence Policy

This policy applies to all undergraduate students at Goucher College who need to leave the institution to seek care due to serious illness or injury (medical), prevents them from continuing their classes, and incompletes or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible. 

Detailed information about the medical leave of absence process, as well as the requirements for returning to the college after such a withdrawal can be found in the college's Medical/Compassionate Leave Policy.  


College Withdrawal

An Official Withdrawal from the college removes the student from all academic programs. Students considering withdrawing from the college should review the withdrawal procedures. A student who has officially withdrawn from the college must be reinstated to return. 


College Initiated Administrative Withdrawal

The college may administratively withdraw a student from classes, remove a student from residence halls, and/or require conditions for continued enrollment. For information, refer to the College Initiated Administrative Withdrawal policy.


Administrative Withdrawal from the College

Students who have not enrolled in courses and have not submitted a leave of absence paperwork by the end of the add period for a semester will be withdrawn from the college. Students are limited to a total of two terms of leave of absence during the pursuit of their undergraduate degree at Goucher, and students who exceed this limit will also be withdrawn. Students who are administratively withdrawn from the college must be reinstated to return.

For any reason, withdrawal may affect the student's academic record, tuition charges, and financial aid. See Satisfactory Academic Progress PolicyRefund Policy, and Return of Federal Title IV Funds Policy.


Finances are just as individualized as your student.  If you have questions, we have answers.

If you have inquiries about billing statements, account access, balances, financial aid loans, or something else, please visit Goucher College’s Billing FAQs.  If you don’t find the answer that you are looking for, please contact Goucher’s Billing Department. 

  • BY PHONE: (410) 337-6022
    Please leave us a message if we cannot take your call. We will return your call as soon as possible but no longer than 2 business days.

Student Billing
Goucher College
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, MD 21204

  • BY FAX: (410) 337-6504


Who should my student see if they are having any difficulty?  

In Class

Your student should discuss their issue with their professors and/or advisor. General support and mentoring are provided to all students through these relationships. In addition, assistance with general academic skills, including study skills and time management, is provided at the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE). A student-staffed Writing Center is also available to assist students with writing assignments. 


In Their Residence Hall

Your student should contact their Resident Assistant (RA). Working in conjunction with the Office of Residential Life, RAs work to foster a living environment that is supportive and productive to all groups and individuals at Goucher. If further assistance is needed, they should contact the Office of Residential Life by email at or by phone at 410-337-6424.


In Athletics

Your student should discuss any concerns they have about their athletic experience with their head coach directly. These concerns may involve playing time, scheduling, or challenges they may be experiencing with transitioning to competing in intercollegiate athletics. For any matters relating to Sports Medicine, your student should contact Jean Perez, Director of Student Health and Wellness, at

Maryland state law requires institutions of higher education that have an athletic program or administer athletic activities to implement a policy for receiving and addressing student concerns about the institution’s athletic programs and activities [Md. Code Ann., Education, & 11-1601 (2019)]. Please refer to Goucher's Policy on Student Concerns about Athletic Programs and Activities for more information.