Events with Alcohol
Can alcohol be served at student events?
- Beer and wine may be sold at scheduled student events that are registered with the OSE at least three weeks (15 working days) in advance.
- Aisha Rivers, Director of Student Engagement, will review an organization's request to register an event with alcohol and all plans for the event.
- Aisha will have the authority to grant or deny approval for the event based on a variety of criteria including appropriateness of the event, the organization's ability to execute its plans in accordance with college policies, and knowledge of other college events scheduled for the requested time slot.
What else must we plan for if our event includes alcohol?
- The event must have a theme and/or some form of entertainment to serve as its focus. Non-alcoholic beverages and food must be available for the duration of the event.
Is a liquor license required?
- Yes. If your event is approved, A member of the OSE staff will complete and send a liquor license application to the board of liquor license commissioners for final approval.
What staffing is required at an event where alcohol will be served?
- At least one public safety officer must be hired for an event where alcohol will be served.
- If more than 100 attendees are expected, a minimum of two officers are required, with the need for additional officers being determined by public safety.
- One public safety officer will be responsible for checking identification cards and wrist banding those individuals of legal drinking age.
- At least one leader of the club sponsoring the event must be present at all times during the event. This individual cannot consume alcohol during the event. This/these person(s) will circulate throughout the event to ensure that alcohol is not being consumed by those who are under 21 and that those in attendance are behaving responsibly.
- Faculty and staff advisers are encouraged to attend the sponsoring organization's events.
Who may serve alcohol at a registered student event?
- A designated server who has completed appropriate training will serve the alcohol. It is the server's responsibility to ensure that underage and visibly intoxicated persons are not served alcohol.
May we charge admission at an event where alcohol will be served?
- Yes; however, you may not include the cost of alcohol in the admission price.
Where may alcohol be served at the event?
- Alcohol must be served in a separate area that is restricted to individuals who are at least 21 years of age.
- Students' wrist bands will be punched each time that alcohol is purchased.
- Individuals attending the event cannot bring their own alcohol.
How much alcohol may be purchased for the event?
- Students are permitted to have no more than one drink per hour for a maximum of four hours. Therefore, we encourage you to sell tickets in advance so that you can plan accordingly. You should purchase the minimum amount of alcohol needed to cover your expected attendance.
PLEASE NOTE: Violations of the above policies will result in the organization's loss of privileges to hold events at which alcohol is served and may be referred to the Judicial Board as appropriate. No one wants this to happen- so work with us and we can help!