Contracts & Waivers
When do I need a contract?
- When hiring entertainment for an event
- When hiring a speaker to present
- When lessons are being taught on a regular basis (ie: yoga, gymnastics, martial arts)
- Basically, any time someone is providing a service.
- When in doubt, ask OSE!
Can I sign on a contract on behalf of my club?
- No. Contracts for clubs and organizations must be signed by Aisha Rivers, Director of Student Engagement.
So, how do I get a contract signed?
- Please email Aisha at least a month prior to your event to get the process started. The college has a standard contract that you can use. If the individual you are working with has their own contract, it will need to be reviewed by both Aisha and Goucher's legal counsel.
What happens if I don't get a contract?
- You won't be able to get funding from GSG or pay the instructor/entertainer/presenter. You must have a signed contract BEFORE the event happens.
- Also, please know that the contract exists to protect both you and the person you're working with. It outlines what you've agreed to prior to the event, so it actually is a critical tool in event planning.
When are we required to have participants sign waivers?
- If the event carries any significant risk (rides, games, inflatables, etc.)
- Activities requiring physical contact or strenuous activity (massage, yoga, martial arts, etc.)
- If students are traveling off campus on a Goucher activity
Does OSE have a standard waiver that we can use?
- Yes. If you think you may need a waiver, please meet with an OSE staff member. We can help you think through your needs.