What staffing is required at a dance sponsored by an RSO?

  • At least two executive board officers and the faculty/staff advisor of that RSO must be present to supervise the entire event.
  • A campus safety officer must also be hired. There's an extra charge for this service.
  • All dances must end at 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday mornings and midnight all other nights.

The responsibilities of the RSO for a dance include: 

  • keeping decorations away from the sprinklers in rooms.
  • keeping music at a reasonable level. If it gets too loud, you'll be asked to turn it down.
  • using only dim house lights or professional DJ lighting at all times.
  • cleaning up the space immediately after the dance. This includes removing all decorations, food, and beverages, etc.

Can we advertise our dance off campus?

  • To advertise off campus for any event, you must get permission from the Office of Campus Safety.
  • Advertising must be approved by OSE.
  • All off-campus guests must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Guests must show state-issued photo identification and sign a guest list; guests who are unable to show state-issued photo identification will not be allowed inside.
  • If you anticipate having more than 25% of your guests be from off-campus, you must meet with the both the director of OSE and the director of campus safety at least two weeks in advance of the event to discuss parking, the possible need of additional security, and gate staffing.
  • All off-campus guests must park in the visitors' section of the Dorsey Center parking lot; it is the responsibility of the RSO to check with campus safety if you anticipate any parking problems.

PLEASE NOTE: As the organizers, the RSO must work to keep things under control. Please ask campus safety for assistance. College staff have the right to remove any students and/or guests who are acting inappropriately (i.e., fighting, overly intoxicated, violating college policies, etc.). We don't want this to happen, so help us make your event a success!