Form 1098-T: Tuition Statement
The college's 2021 1098-T forms will be mailed by January 31, 2022 by ECSI, the college's third party servicer. As a courtesy, ECSI notifies students by e-mail that their 1098-T form was printed and mailed. If you do not receive an e-mail, Goucher may not have been required to issue a 1098T to you for 2021, or the e-mail address on record was not up-to-date by January 31, 2022.
An electronic copy of your 2021 1098T can be found at www.heartland.ecsi.net.
- Scroll down and click on “Access Your 1098-T Documents” the lower, center box
- Click on “Want to look up your 1098-T tax form” on the left
- Click on “I need my 1098-T Tuition tax statement”
- Type in Goucher College in the “School Name” field, click on Goucher when it comes up in their fill-in field; Submit
- Fill out the Form
- Use dashes when entering the Social Security number!!
- for Zip Code use the Zip with the mailing address we have on record; see above
- Click Continue
- Click “View Details
Electronic copies of your 2013-2020 1098-T forms are also available through ECSI's website, if you received one for those previous tax years.
If you require further assistance, please call ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also email email@example.com. Be aware that ECSI receives a large number of calls in late January and early February, and as a consequence, wait times may be unavoidable.
EDUCATION TAX CREDIT
Students who receive a 2021 1098-T form may be eligible for a Federal Education Tax credit on the 2021 tax return. We cannot provide students or families with tax advice but please click on the link below for more information from the IRS, or contact your tax advisor:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Below you can find answers to some frequently asked questions. If further assistance is required, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT IS FORM 1098-T (TUITION STATEMENT)?
We are required by IRS to send the 1098-T form to students who were enrolled and had payments and/or financial aid credited to their tuition account during 2021. This form is used to assist the IRS and students in determining if students are qualified for education-related tax benefits.
CAN I PICK-UP MY 1098-T FORM ON CAMPUS?
No. Goucher uses a service to print and mail these forms. The service will send them directly to the mailing address we have on record for the student. If you haven't received a form, please email us at email@example.com.
WHAT DO THE AMOUNTS LOCATED ON THE FORM REPRESENT?
- Box 1 represents the total amount of payments and financial aid (grants, scholarships and loans) posted to the student’s account during the 2021 calendar (tax) year, up to the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses for those semesters. (Box 1 is being reported on the 1098-T form starting with 2021 due to the change to the institutional reporting requirements under federal law.)
- Box 2 and Box 3 are blank.
- BOX 4 represents adjustments made for a prior year.
- BOX 5 represents the total amount of grants and scholarships credited during the 2021 calendar (tax) year. Note: BOX 5 does not include any loans.
- BOX 6 represents adjustments to scholarships or grants credited during previous years.
- BOX 7 is checked if any payments and/or financial aid included in Box 1 relates to an academic period that begins January through March 2022 (i.e. 2022 winter/J term or 2022 spring semesters).
- BOX 8 is checked if the student was at least half-time during any academic period that began in 2021 (i.e. winter 2021, spring 2021, summer 2021, or fall 2021). Half-time for undergraduates is at least 6 credits, for graduate students half-time is at least 4.5 credits.
- BOX 9 is checked if the student was a graduate student enrolled in a program or programs leading to a graduate-level degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential.
- BOX 10 does not apply to Goucher students.
WHAT IF I DIDN'T GET A 1098-T? WHAT IF THE INFORMATION ON MY 1098-T IS INCORRECT?
If you enrolled in courses during the 2021 calendar year and had payments and/or financial aid credited to your account in 2021, but did not receive a form, please email us at 1098T@goucher.edu. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
WHY DID I NOT RECEIVE A 1098-T FORM EVEN THOUGH I GRADUATED IN MAY 2020?
If you were enrolled for either the 2021 winter/J-term or 2021 spring semester, but had no payments or financial aid credited to your account in 2021, you will not receive a 2021 1098-T as you had no reportable transactions.