Form 1098-T: Tuition Statement
The college's 2018 1098-T forms will be mailed by January 31, 2019 by ECSI, the college's third party servicer. As a courtesy, ECSI notifies students by e-mail that their 1098-T form was printed and mailed. If you did not receive an e-mail, Goucher may not have been required to issue a 1098T to you for 2018, or the e-mail address on record was not up-to-date by January 31, 2019.
IMPORTANT CHANGE FOR THE 2018 1098-T!
In previous years your 1098-T included an amount in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) that were billed to your student account during the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to the institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we are required to report in Box 1 the total amount of payments and financial aid credited to your student account, up to the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses. Box 1 replaces Box 2 for reporting purposes under the federal regulations.
An electronic copy of your 2018 1098T can be found at www.heartland.ecsi.net.
- At the top of the home page “Click here” in red by “Tax Season is here” text
- Type in Goucher College, click on Goucher when it comes up in their fill-in field
- Fill out the Form
- Click Continue
- Click on the +at the far right of the screen, next to “1098-T Statement” and “Status: Delivered”
Electronic copies of your 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 1098-T forms are also available through ECSI's website, if you received one for those previous tax years.
If you require further assistance, please call ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 or email email@example.com. You can also email 1098T@goucher.edu. Be aware that ECSI receives a large number of calls in late January and early February, and as a consequence, wait times may be unavoidable.
EDUCATION TAX CREDIT
Students who receive a 2018 1098-T form may be eligible for a Federal Education Tax credit on the 2018 tax return. We cannot provide students or families with tax advice but please click on the link below for more information from the IRS, or contact your tax advisor:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Below you can find answers to some frequently asked questions. If further assistance is required, please email us at 1098T@goucher.edu.
WHAT IS FORM 1098-T (TUITION STATEMENT)?
We are required by IRS to send the 1098-T form to students who were enrolled and had payments and/or financial aid credited to their tuition account during 2018. This form is used to assist the IRS and students in determining if students are qualified for education-related tax benefits.
CAN I PICK-UP MY 1098-T FORM ON CAMPUS?
No. Goucher uses a service to print and mail these forms. The service will send them directly to the mailing address we have on record for the student. If you haven't received a form, please email us at 1098T@goucher.edu.
WHAT DO THE AMOUNTS LOCATED ON THE FORM REPRESENT?
- Box 1(NEW!) represents the total amount of payments and financial aid posted to the student’s account during the 2018 calendar (tax) year, up to the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses for those semesters. (Box 1 is being reported on the 1098-T form starting with 2018 due to the change to the institutional reporting requirements under federal law.)
- Box 2 is blank due to the change to the institutional reporting requirements under federal law beginning with the 2018 calendar (tax) year.
- Box 3 is checked as Goucher has switched our reporting method in 2018 from Box 2 to Box 1, as required by federal law.
- BOX 4 represents adjustments made for a prior year.
- BOX 5 represents the total amount of grants and scholarships credited during the 2018 calendar (tax) year. Note: BOX 5 does not include any loans.
- BOX 6 represents adjustments to scholarships or grants credited during previous years.
- BOX 7 is checked if any payments and/or financial aid included in Box 1 relates to an academic period that begins January through March 2019 (i.e. 2019 winter/J term or 2019 spring semesters).
- BOX 8 is checked if the student was at least half-time during any academic period that began in 2018 (i.e. winter 2018, spring 2018, summer 2018, or fall 2018). Half-time for undergraduates is at least 6 credits, for graduate students half-time is at least 4.5 credits.
- BOX 9 is checked if the student was a graduate student enrolled in a program or programs leading to a graduate-level degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential.
- BOX 10 does not apply to Goucher students.
WHAT IF I DIDN'T GET A 1098-T? WHAT IF THE INFORMATION ON MY 1098-T IS INCORRECT?
If you enrolled in courses during the 2018 calendar year and had payments and/or financial aid credited to your account in 2018, but did not receive a form, please email us at 1098T@goucher.edu. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
WHY DID I NOT RECEIVE A 1098-T FORM EVEN THOUGH I GRADUATED IN MAY 2018?
If you were enrolled for either the 2018 winter/J-term or 2018 spring semester, but had no payments or financial aid credited to your account in 2018, you will not receive a 2018 1098-T as you had no reportable transactions.