Frequently Asked Questions
Where would I go if I need academic support?
Welcome to the Academic Center for Excellence-or ACE. We offer peer-led, content based Supplemental Instruction sessions (SI) and tutoring on an as needed basis. Contact ACE at email@example.com if you need academic support services.
Where would I go if I need help with time management, organization, decision making, study skills & staying on track?
ACE is staffed by professional Academic Coaches and a trained graduate intern. You can make an appointment to meet with an Academic Coach who can guide and help you with time management, getting organized, decision making, reading and writing strategies, including effective studying strategies and how to avoid procrastination!
Does ACE offer stress management programs/workshops?
Yes. ACE offers a holistic vision for academic support services. We practice evidence based practices to improve focus and attention and overall well-being, like Guided Meditation, Walking Goucher Trails meditation, Yoga and Reiki. We also offer a mind-body approach to bringing balance to your academic experience, by providing one-on-one sessions and workshops on self-care. Stop by and color in a mandala to relax your mind before a test, or take a moment to gather yourself in our meditation/contemplation room and listen to a relaxing CD on mindfulness meditation or just take a few moments of quiet and stillness.
Who is Lucy?
Lucy is our greeter dog that you can stop by and say hi to in ACE. We know how hard it is to be away from your beloved pets. Stop by and see Lucy and get a warm welcome!
Do I have to pay extra to use ACE services?
No. ACE services are free of any additional charge.
What are the operating hours?
ACE is open Monday-Friday 8a.m. - 5p.m.
Where is ACE located?
ACE is located on the 2nd floor of Julia Rogers (room 233).
How can I make an appointment?
Call us at 410-337-6529, stop by in person, or request an appointment online.
If I need Accessibility Services, what do I do & where do I go?
Can I take my tests at ACE?
Yes, but only if you have documentation for extended time on a test that you have signed in an Agreement with Frona Brown. Here’s the Testing Center Policy below: At least 48 hours prior to the test date, the student MUST send an email to ACE@goucher.edu (cc’ing the professor at the same time) to set up an appointment to take his/her test. Students must take their tests at the scheduled class time. If there is a conflict, please contact the professor and the Program Coordinator, Kay Beard. You may contact Kay at 410-337-6529 to set up an appointment.
- For a test on Monday, you must make an appointment on the previous Friday, before 3 pm.
- Your allotted, extended time begins at your scheduled test time. If you arrive late, you will lose part of your extended time.
- Only students with documented accommodations for extended time on testing use the ACE Testing Center. If students have a medical or family emergency, please contact the Director of ACE for approval.
- Students will leave all unnecessary possessions (cell phones, coats, backpacks, notebooks, extraneous papers) in the ACE office.
- ACE will notify the faculty member if student does not show up to take his/her test.
- Tests can be scheduled between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm and must be completed by 4:45 pm.
- Please view the Academic Honor Code.