Designed by Moore and Hutchins
Thormann International Center 1989
Campus Relocation 2017
Froelicher Hall was named for Hans Froelicher who was a professor of fine arts and German, a dean, and acting President for one year during his tenure at Goucher (1888-1930). Froelicher Hall was the third dormitory built on the new Towson campus. Construction began in the summer of 1949, and with its completion in the fall of 1950, all residential students now lived on the Towson campus. Due to President Kraushaar's goal to house all the students in Towson, Froelicher Hall was built rapidly and with great economy. The least expensive of all building projects at that time, Froelicher Hall lacked some of the amenities afforded the other buildings. Also designed by Moore and Hutchins, construction costs totaled $820,530. The design incorporated the same palette as existing campus buildings; however, the Butler stone, already recognized as a defining feature of the campus by 1950, was only used on the end walls. The sides were left as painted slag block and not covered over as the other buildings had been. Also, unlike Mary Fisher and Heubeck Halls which consisted of a central body with four attached wings, Froelicher is four independent structures connected by covered walkways forming a courtyard, resembling a pinwheel when viewed from above.
Three of the structures, Alcock, Gallagher, and Tuttle Houses, are residential spaces. When it was built, Froelicher consisted of 99 double rooms and only 2 single rooms. This was greatly opposed by the Faculty Planning Committee who felt that double rooms were not adequate for learning and living at college. In the end, economics and the desire to house everyone at Towson regardless of the room setup, won. Furthermore, the three houses did not have common rooms, a feature that was greatly opposed by the Faculty Planning Committee, and ultimately due to the Committee's dissatisfaction, common rooms were formed in Gallagher and Alcock Houses by combining two rooms. Unlike the commons rooms in the other residence halls on campus, they were without cooking amenities until renovations in 2006. The fourth structure was the public space for the residence hall, including a public reception room, a student lounge, two guest parlors, a dining facility, and recreation room.
In 1989, the common space building in Froelicher was remodeled into academic space. Due to the efforts of the Academic Computing Office and the Department of Modern Languages, that space was turned into the Wolfgang Thormann International Technology and Media Center. Although other departments used Thormann, it was predominately used by the Modern Languages Department.
In the summer of 2017, Goucher successfully completed one of the largest and fastest
building relocations ever on a college campus. Alcock, Gallagher, and Tuttle rolled
more than 500 feet across campus to new foundations near the Student Recreation Center.
Anna Heubeck Knipp
Eleanor A. and Benjamin Bennett
Myra Dodson and Edward Robinson
Elmore B. Jeffrey