Designed by Wilson and Christie
Completed 1956

Groom's House 1963 by Wilson and Christie
6 stall stable 1977
8 stall stable 1983
Indoor Riding Arena 1993

Original Stable given by Ethel Haebler

The Goucher College Equestrian Program began in the 1920s with the purchase of the Towson land. Miss von Borries, head of the Physical Education Department and a native of Baltimore County who had grown up horse riding, promoted riding at Goucher and was the force behind the program for many years. Goucher students were transported from the College, then located completely in Baltimore City, to stables run by Lieutenant Dentry near the Towson campus.

  • Miss von Borries and Goucher riders, ca. 1956. Photograph courtesy of the Goucher College Archival Photograph Collection.


In 1953, the stable where the College had been renting horses from went out of business, prompting the College to evaluate the Equestrian Program. With the College now located on the Towson campus, the Board of Trustees voted to build a stable on campus, complete with an indoor riding arena. Designed by the local Towson firm of Wilson and Christie, construction was funded by a generous gift from Ethel Haebler, a member of the Board of Trustees. Six horses from a summer camp in Vermont were purchased by the College, and along with Miss von Borries' horse, Health 'n' Wise, were the first occupants of the stable. The bottom half of the stable is of cinderblock and the upper half features redwood siding, interspersed with windows and louvered shutters which were painted in bright primary colors. Ultimately, an indoor riding arena was not included in the construction. Consisting of 13 box stalls, a tack room, and equipment room, the stable won an architectural award of merit from the Baltimore Association of Commerce.

In 1963, a small groom’s house was constructed next to the stable. The modest one story gable house constructed of painted concrete block, housing for the groom and is now occupied by the stable manager. The expense of the building was paid for with the income received from riding and boarding fees. The College herd continued to grow and in 1977 a concrete block stable with 6 standing stalls was built. In 1985, an additional stable with 8 box stalls was added. In 1984, Goucher began competing in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and at that time riding became recognized as a Goucher College varsity sport. Finally, in 1993, the indoor riding arena was built. The existing outdoor riding arena was divided in half with the new indoor facility occupying one side of the space. The next proposed step for the Equestrian Program is the Equestrian Clinic and Team Pavilion. The facility will be between the indoor and outdoor riding arenas and feature a spectator gallery, office space and a large glass enclosed meeting room overlooking the indoor arena.

  • Janet McBrein, Equestrian Director from 1969 to 1986, in the doorway to the main stable.  Photograph courtesy of the Goucher College Archival Photograph Collection, 1.6.053.

For more historical photographs see the Goucher College Digital Library.