Temporary Disability Services

If you have an injury, medical condition, illness or hospitalization that is temporarily interfering with your ability to participate in the college’s educational program, The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) can provide assistance. Depending on the nature of your impairment, you may need accommodations inside and outside of the classroom.


Contact the Associate Provost

OAS does not communicate with faculty about the nature of an absence. The first step in notifying the college of absences is to submit an academic notification request.

If you have a medical emergency such as hospitalization/hospital transport or surgery, contact Student Support & Outreach (SSO) at care@goucher.edu and submit an academic notification request. SSO communicates with the Associate Provost’s office, and in turn, they will notify your professors and advisors. OAS services are approved once the student has returned from an absence and is in need of accommodation support.


How to Receive Temporary Accommodations

Goucher evaluates requests for accommodations on an individual basis. To support your request for temporary accommodations, students must submit documentation and/or support letters, dependent on the accommodation request.  

Medical and Physical Disabilities Treating Provider Form (PDF) 

After a student has completed their online request for accommodations AND submitted documentation, the Office of Accessibility will reach out to the student via email to arrange for an intake meeting. Accommodations are not effective until the completion of request, documentation, intake and then receipt of a decision letter from OAS.


Typical Temporary Services

Assistive Technology

Individuals with temporary disabilities may benefit from utilizing assistive technologies and/or auxiliary aids. Such technologies/aids can assist individuals who temporarily cannot write or need audio-recordings of lectures to support delayed processing. 

Work Submission

OAS cannot excuse late work, but they can provide verification of a need for an extension on due dates. OAS suggests extension guidelines of 24-48 hours, but students must verify with their individual professors.


If you are temporarily in need of special parking accommodations, contact the Office of Campus Safety at 410-337-6111. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

If you encounter any barriers accessing campus services, please use the Barrier Report Form to report the problem(s).