Academic Coaching Sessions
Our Academic Coaches support students, individually and in groups, on developing and deepening academic life skills. Students may choose to work on the following strategies:
- Defining and articulating academic goals and intentions and helping students gain clarity and focus
- Listening deeply and communicating effectively
- Identifying and threshing out challenges to help with decision-making
- Offering contemplative practices to manage stress
- Supporting college-level reading and writing strategies
- Developing effective time management skills
- Assisting students in recognizing and working through procrastination
- Building organizational skills
- Learning strategies to improve memory and concentration
- Acquiring note-taking and test-taking strategies
Content Based Tutoring
On an as needed basis. Please contact ACE.
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
SI is offered in various courses in both the sciences and the humanities. SI consists of voluntary, small group sessions that are facilitated by an SI leader, a student whom the instructor deems knowledgeable of the course content and who has been trained in learning strategies appropriate to the discipline. The SI leader meets regularly with the instructor and attends the course frequently. In the study groups, students work together to integrate the course content with critical thinking strategies, thus promoting their academic development.
Faculty may also request supplemental instruction using the Supplemental Instruction Form link below:
Presented throughout the semester, these 60 to 90 minute workshops encompass an array of topics:
- Using SMART goals for a successful academic year
- Mindful planning to help understand the concept of mindfulness in relation to time management
- SMART reading strategies to help read more effectively and efficiently
- Overcoming procrastination and strategies for improving motivation
Only students with documented accommodations for extended time on testing may use the ACE Testing Center. If students have a medical or family emergency, please contact the director of ACE for approval.
View our Testing Center Policy.
Other Resources on Campus
- August 25, 2020
With Kendyl Walker, Pre-Major Academic Advisor Are you curious about academic forgiveness? Then, this is the session for you! You may have asked, “What is academic...
- September 1, 2020
MINING YOUR WISDOM: What do you now know? With Stacie Farley and Kathleen Hake, Academic Coaches You have learned A LOT from your experiences in the last year or more. Let’s...
- Image associated with "ACE Fall Workshop Series: Procrastination and Critical Thinking – The Cool Link to Slowing Down and Diving In!"September 8, 2020
PROCRASTINATION AND CRITICAL THINKING - THE COOL LINK TO SLOWING DOWN AND DIVING IN! With Kathleen Hake and Nancy Hesselbein, Academic Coaches In CrossFit, there is an...