Passport Information

New Application for a U.S. Passport

If you plan to study abroad this academic year and do not already have a passport, apply for a passport as soon as possible. The State Department, which issues passports, suggests that you allow six to 10 weeks for new applications.

The easiest way to find out how to obtain a passport is to go to the U.S. Department of State website. Everything you need to know is included in this site. You can also print all necessary forms from the appropriate link.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

To renew your passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State website. You can renew your passport through the mail. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. You should also note that most countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip

Completing Passport Forms

Be sure to complete the application carefully. For a new application you must include your actual birth certificate, with the embossed state seal. No photocopies will be accepted. You will also need two passport photos. Be sure to send your passport application to the address specified on the form and to include a check for for the correct amount.  It will take approximately six weeks to be processed and returned to you. Don’t wait until the last minute for new passports or renewals.

Obtaining Passport Photos

You can get passport photos made at most post offices, photo shops, drugstores, and large discount stores. Many students have found that Wal-Mart, CVS, and Walgreens are the most economical places to buy passport photos.

Expedite Your Passport

If you need your passport in less than six (6) weeks, you will need to get your passport expedited. You can do this in person at the appropriate agency, through the mail, or with a passport expeditor agency.

International Students and Passports

All international students attending Goucher College are responsible for maintaining a valid passport.