Health Insurance for Studying Abroad

All students participating on Semester, Year, or ICA Goucher programs will be automatically enrolled in a health insurance plan tailored to meet the needs of study abroad students. Students on Goucher semester programs and Goucher ICAs will be billed accordingly. The insurance carrier is ACE American Insurance Company.

Students will receive information about how to use the health insurance policy from the Office of International Studies prior to departure for study abroad.

ACE American Insurance Company Study Abroad Insurance

The Goucher College Student Coverage Description gives all the details of coverage, including explanation of benefits, exclusions, and definitions. For questions regarding specific benefits or coverage, contact ACE Travel Assistance Program (AXA) from within the US at 1-855-327-1414 or from overseas call direct or collect to, at 1-630-694-9764. The AXA link ( is available to students approved to participate in Goucher semester or ICA programs. 

Goucher College international health coverage covers students for an additional 15 days after the end of their program. If you wish to further extend your international health insurance coverage, you can purchase a policy through Roam Right at a very low rate at this link

Faculty & Staff

Faculty and staff traveling on behalf of official college business are also covered by ACE American Insurance Company. For more details, see the faculty and staff member insurance policy. Click on Goucher-Before You Take Off for more information.

Maintain Existing Domestic Coverage

All Goucher students are required to carry a primary domestic insurance policy as mandated by Goucher College. Students are required to maintain their domestic primary insurance in the United States and should NOT terminate their existing coverage; if a student were to experience health problems abroad and were required to return early to the US, that student might be prohibited from reenrolling in their health insurance program because of a pre-existing medical condition, and would be without coverage.

What to Take With You While Abroad

Goucher students should always bring copies of proof of any medical insurance (domestic or other) while abroad. In addition, any student enrolled in a study abroad program through Goucher College should print and take these documents for ACE Insurance Company with you for the duration of the study abroad program:

To Make a Claim

In the event of accident or injury, instructions on how to make a claim to ACI can be found here. Please follow instructions to set up an account and have the information found on the Insurance ID Card ready to be entered.