How to Apply
Master of Fine Arts in Nonfiction
We operate under a rolling admissions model. Therefore, please note the upcoming application deadlines below are suggested for optimal processing time.
|Semester||Application Deadline||Semester Start Date|
|Spring 2020 - Term 2||March 9||March 23|
|Summer 2020||May 15||June 1|
|Fall 2020 - Term 1||August 10||August 24|
|Fall 2020 - Term 2||October 5||October 19|
|Winter 2021||December 11||January 4|
All students have until the first week of the semester/term to enroll in a course. We encourage applicants to complete and submit their application by the deadlines above to ensure a successful enrollment process. Applicants who are applying to participate in residency should apply for the Summer semester or Spring semester.
Admissions Requirements Checklist
Acceptance to the program will be based on an evaluation of the applicant's work experience, essay, recommendation forms, and transcripts. In order to be considered for admission, an applicant must complete the following steps through our graduate admissions portal.
- Complete the online application.
- Send official sealed transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Electronic transcripts can be sent to GraduateAdmissions@goucher.edu.
- Paper transcripts can be mailed from the institution to:
Welch Center for Graduate and Professional Studies
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, MD 21204
- Send a minimum of one letter of recommendation completed by someone who knows you well enough to give an informed opinion of your intellectual ability, capacity for sustained self-directed study, personal qualifications, and professional potential. The recommendation process is completed online through the graduate admission portal.
- Complete the essay answering program-specific questions. Please review essay requirements below.
- International students must also follow the international student admissions processes.
Dual-degree applicants should complete the admissions requirements for both programs, such as supplying a digital portfolio and addressing the essay questions for both programs in one essay.
Applicants will know their admissions status within 2-3 business days of submitting a full application.
Accepted students are required to submit an enrollment agreement, along with a nonrefundable $250 enrollment deposit. The deposit will be credited toward tuition charges for the upcoming semester. New students will receive their login information to their student accounts along with new-student onboarding information to ensure a successful enrollment.
Writing samples requirements
One copy of a double-spaced 25- to 35-page writing sample of original nonfiction writing, published or unpublished. The writing sample may be one long piece or several shorter ones. It should demonstrate an ability to write a more creative form narrative nonfiction.
One copy of a double-spaced three- to five-page personal statement that addresses
the applicant's expectations for the program, professional writing goals and interests,
and reasons for seeking the M.F.A. in Nonfiction. The statement should also demonstrate