Break housing is provided to Goucher students on a limited basis. Students who are interested in applying to live on campus during official breaks must complete a break housing form.
There is no monetary charge for residing on campus during Spring break or Thanksgiving break. There are monetary charges associated with residing on campus during Winter and Summer break.
Thanksgiving Break Housing
How to request to stay over break:
- Students wishing to stay on campus must fill out the Thanksgiving Break Housing application which will be made available to you on Housing Director. (Use your Goucher username and password to log in).
- Forms should be submitted no later than Monday, November 25, 2019 at noon, so that they may be approved. Applications received after the deadline will result in a late fee.
Important Information For Students Approved to Stay on Campus During Thanksgiving Break:
- The Residence Halls will close for Thanksgiving Break at 12:00 pm on Wednesday, November 27, 2019, and will reopen Sunday, December, 1st at 9:00 am.
- Only previously approved students will be allowed to remain in the residence halls after closing.
- Students who are granted approval will remain in their current room assignment during the break period.
Having the opportunity to stay at Goucher during breaks carry additional responsibilities, and as such, please note the following:
- Your OneCard will only allow you access to your house.
- No overnight guests may be hosted in rooms during the break, including other Goucher students not approved to stay on campus during the break.
- All college policies and procedures remain in effect during the break. Any violation of the Student Code of Conduct may result in immediate removal from campus until the residence halls re-open.
- There may be interruptions and noise disturbances during the break, as the facilities management staff uses break periods to make necessary repairs.
- You are only permitted to live on campus during your pre-approved dates.
- No meal plan service is available during Thanksgiving Break. Students will need to acquire their own meals.
- There will be reduced staffing in the Office of Residential Life during Thanksgiving Break; therefore, you need to be especially vigilant in following the same safety guidelines in effect during the academic year.
Winter Break Housing
Residence halls close at 10:00 am on Saturday, December 14, 2019 and will reopen on Saturday, January 25, 2019 at 9:00 am
Students can apply for extended stay for either Sunday, December 15th or Monday, December 16th at the latest. If you plan to stay past 10 AM on December 14th for any reason, you must submit The Winter Extended Stay Application by Thursday, December 12th at noon. Failure to apply by the deadline will result in a $50 late fee. Only students that have received written permission from the Office of Residential Life are permitted to remain on campus after the residence halls have closed.
All students who wish to return to campus before January 26, 2019 must register for January housing. Specific rates can be found on the application here. Housing rates are between $200-$750 with various length and meal plan options.
Please keep in mind, the period between December 24th, 2019 and January 1st, 2020 has been designated as a blackout period where no student will be allowed on campus for any reason.
Spring Break Housing
The residence halls close for Spring Break on Saturday, March 14, 2020, at 10:00 am and will reopen on Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. Residents should coordinate their travel plans to vacate the halls by that time.
Before you depart, we ask that you prepare your room for checkout by completing the following:
- Please remove food and all garbage from your room. This is very important because open food containers and garbage are a prime cause of rodent and insect infestations. Food should be stored using the plastic bin provided to students at the start of the school year.
- Close and lock all windows and reinsert screens that are not in place.
- Take home all pet birds and fish.
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances (computers, lights, fans, alarms, etc.). However, you do not need to defrost or unplug your refrigerator during spring break.
- Clean up your room as best as possible. This includes removing any clothing and papers from the floor. In the event of a facilities emergency, a cluttered room impedes our ability to address the problem.
- Lock your door!!!
How to request Break Housing:
- Students wishing to stay on campus during break must fill out the Spring break housing application which can be found on Housing Director. (Use your Goucher username and password to log in).
- Check back in the Spring for the break housing application deadline!
Summer Break Housing
Check back in the Spring for more information on Summer housing!