Break housing is provided to Goucher students on a limited basis. Students who are interested in applying to live on campus during official breaks must complete a break housing form.
There is no monetary charge for residing on campus during Spring break or Thanksgiving break. There are monetary charges associated with residing on campus during Winter and Summer break.
Thanksgiving Break Housing
How to request to stay over break:
- Students wishing to stay on campus must fill out the application which will be made available to you on Housing Director. (Use your Goucher username and password to log in).
- Forms should be submitted no later than Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at noon, so that they may be approved. Applications received after the deadline will result in a late fee.
Important Information For Students Approved to Stay on Campus During Thanksgiving Break:
- The Residence Halls will close for Thanksgiving Break at 12:00 pm on Wednesday, November 21, 2018, and will reopen Sunday, November, 25 at 9:00 am.
- Only previously approved students will be allowed to remain in the residence halls after closing.
- Students who are granted approval will remain in their current room assignment during the break period.
Having the opportunity to stay at Goucher during breaks carry additional responsibilities, and as such, please note the following:
- Your OneCard will only allow you access to your house.
- No overnight guests may be hosted in rooms during the break, including other Goucher students not approved to stay on campus during the break.
- All college policies and procedures remain in effect during the break. Any violation of the Student Code of Conduct may result in immediate removal from campus until the residence halls re-open.
- There may be interruptions and noise disturbances during the break, as the facilities management staff uses break periods to make necessary repairs.
- You are only permitted to live on campus during your pre-approved dates.
- No meal plan service is available during Thanksgiving Break. Students will need to acquire their own meals.
- There will be reduced staffing in the Office of Residential Life during Thanksgiving Break; therefore, you need to be especially vigilant in following the same safety guidelines in effect during the academic year.
Winter Break Housing
Residence halls close at 10:00 am on Saturday, December 15, 2018 and will reopen on Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Students who wish to remain on campus for up to two extra nights due to travel arrangements must complete the Winter Extended Stay 2018 application. No student will be able to stay past 10:00 am on Saturday, December 15th without previous approval from the Office of Residential Life.
The Winter Extended Stay 2018 application can be found on the Housing Director and is due by noon on Friday, December 7, 2018.
All students who wish to return to campus before January 26, 2019 must register for January housing. Specific rates can be found on the application here. Housing rates are between $200-$750 with various length and meal plan options.
Please keep in mind, the period between December 24th, 2018 and January 1st, 2019 has been designated as a blackout period where no student will be allowed on campus for any reason.
Spring Break Housing
The residence halls close for Spring Break on Saturday, March 16, 2019, at 10:00 am and will reopen on Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. Residents should coordinate their travel plans to vacate the halls by that time.
Before you depart, we ask that you prepare your room for checkout by completing the following:
- Please remove food and all garbage from your room. This is very important because open food containers and garbage are a prime cause of rodent and insect infestations. Food should be stored using the plastic bin provided to students at the start of the school year.
- Close and lock all windows and reinsert screens that are not in place.
- Take home all pet birds and fish.
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances (computers, lights, fans, alarms, etc.). However, you do not need to defrost or unplug your refrigerator during spring break.
- Clean up your room as best as possible. This includes removing any clothing and papers from the floor. In the event of a facilities emergency, a cluttered room impedes our ability to address the problem.
- Lock your door!!!
How to request Break Housing:
- Students wishing to stay on campus during break must fill out the Spring break housing application which can be found on Housing Director. (Use your Goucher username and password to log in).
- Forms should be submitted no later than Friday, March 15, 2019 at noon, so that they may be approved.
Summer Break Housing
This year, Summer housing will be available from Tuesday, May 21, 2019 to Monday, August 19, 2019.
Summer Housing Dates
Only students who are currently living on campus for the Spring semester can begin their Summer housing on Tuesday, May 21, 2019. Approved students will remain in their Spring assignment until the Summer residence hall is ready. Once the Summer residence hall is ready, students will be expected to move quickly from their Spring assignments to the Summer residence hall. The expected date for this move is Thursday, May 30th/Friday, May 31st.
Only students who have a Fall room assignment will be allowed to stay in Summer housing past Monday, August 19, 2019. Students who are studying abroad or do not plan to live on campus for the Fall semester, cannot stay in Summer housing past this date.
Application Criteria and Rates
Summer housing is not guaranteed to students. Priority will be given to students who are completing on-campus requirements or jobs. The minimum amount of days a student can apply to live on campus is 14 days. Priority will be given to students requesting longer housing terms. Students are only able to move back on campus once they have received a confirmation email from the Office of Residential Life. Without a confirmation email and proof of payment, students will not be granted access to the residence halls. Students who apply and are approved to return later in the Summer should anticipate their move-in date to occur during the business week as the Office of Residential Life cannot always accommodate weekend move-ins. Please contact Kevin Turner at email@example.com in the event a weekday arrival is not possible.
The cost for Summer housing is $115 a week
Payments can be made by the individual applying for Summer housing or covered by an on-campus department. For your convenience, payments can be pro-rated by day ensuring that students only pay for the times they are living on campus.
Summer Housing Approval
The application deadline to secure housing for the Summer is Friday, May 10, 2019 at 11:59 pm. All requests submitted after the deadline will be considered on a space available basis, but space cannot be guaranteed. To make a request after the deadline, please email Kevin Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students applying to return to campus will be notified of their Summer housing application status on a rolling basis. Once approved, students will receive a link to make their Summer housing payment. While a limited number of singles will be available for students with accommodation paperwork on file for the fall semester, students should be prepared to have roommates for the Summer term.