Opening, Break, & Closing Information
Please read the following information well in advance of the actual dates so you may plan accordingly. Please note that during the break, health and safety inspections are completed in each student's room in accordance with the residence hall contract. Any observed violations of law, regulation, or campus policy will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
Fall Semester Opening
Returning and new-student athletes participating in a Fall sport should plan to check in on Wednesday, August 14, 2019. Please contact your coaches for more information regarding check-in times and practice schedules.
New International students should plan to move in Monday, August 12, 2019. Please contact Karen Sykes with any questions.
Students who are part of an official Goucher program that requires them to move onto campus before the College officially reopens, should check with their program leaders to confirm their approved date of arrival.
All other new students, both first-years, and transfers should plan to arrive at the Dorsey Center Courtyard for check-in on Saturday, August 17, 2019. Move-in times will be scheduled based on students' room assignments. In order to expedite the move-in process, we ask that you ONLY arrive during your assigned time frame. Please be sure to reference your specific room number to find your time below. If you arrive before your scheduled time, you will be asked to wait. While we work hard to make the move-in process as efficient as possible, please be prepared to wait for your car to be unloaded. The check-in times are as follows:
- 8:00 - 9:30 a.m.- Fireside Hall (rooms 212-229, 312-329, and 412-429), Pagliaro Selz Hall (rooms 301-325), and Trustees Hall (rooms 201-212 and 301-312)
- 9:30 - 11:00 a.m.- Pagliaro Selz Hall, floors 2 and 4
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.- Fireside Hall (rooms 101-117, 201-209, 301-309, and 401-409), Pagliaro Selz Hall (rooms 326-345), and Trustees Hall (rooms 216-233 and 316-333)
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.- Commuter students (arrive at Dorsey Center to check in)
If you plan to shop at nearby stores and will need to unload right outside your residence hall for a second time, please plan to arrive after 12:45 p.m. to avoid a wait and to allow those in the 11:00 a.m. time block to unload. If, after shopping off campus, you're able to carry your items from the Dorsey parking lot, you may return to campus at any time.
Fall Orientation for students will begin on Saturday, August 17, 2019 and will continue through Tuesday, August 20, 2019. Orientation for students will begin at 3:30 p.m. on August 17th and is mandatory for all new students. A concurrent Family Orientation will occur during the afternoon on August 17th. A detailed schedule of orientation sessions will be given to students and families at check-in.
For more details about orientation, please contact the Office of Student Engagement at 410-337-6124 or email email@example.com.
For All Other Returning Students, the Office of Residential Life will have evening and storage hours for the dates below. Students who return to campus when the Office of Residential Life is closed may pick up their keys at the Office of Public Safety. Students need to make sure they are returning to campus on their approved date, as only approved students will have their keys made available. Students who return to campus before the official move-in day without written approval from the Office of Residential Life will be subject to an early return fine of $50 per night.
Returning students who need to return to campus before Tuesday, August 20, 2019, can submit an Early Arrival Application. The application will provide two early arrival options, Sunday, August 18th or Monday, August 19th. The early arrival application, will only be accessible through the college's housing software, The Housing Director. Students who are approved cannot return to campus until the Office of Residential Life opens for the day. If you arrive before the office opens, your key will not be available. The Early Arrival Application deadline is 5:00 pm on Monday, August 12, 2019.
Saturday, August 17, 2019 (New-Student Move-In Only)
- Office: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Sunday, August 18, 2019
- Office: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm / 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Storage: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Monday, August 19, 2019
- Office: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm / 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Storage: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm / 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesday, August 20, 2019 (Official Returning Student Move-In)
- Office: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Storage: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm / 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Wednesday, August 21, 2019
- Office: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Storage: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Thursday, August 22, 2019
- Office: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Storage: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
The residence halls close for the 2019 Thanksgiving break on Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 12:00 pm. Residents should coordinate their travel plans to vacate the halls by this time.
Before you depart, we ask that you prepare your room by completing the following:
- Remove food and all garbage to avoid pests.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Take home fish and birds.
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances (computers, lights, fans, alarms, etc.). However, you do not need to defrost or unplug your refrigerator during Thanksgiving break.
- Lock your door.
During the break, health and safety inspections occur in each student room. Any observed violations of the law or campus policy will be reported to the appropriate parties and could lead to student fines or judicial action. Any unauthorized items found in the room will be confiscated and students will be fined.
The residence halls reopen on Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 9:00 am.
Thank you for your attention to these policies. We wish you a restful and enjoyable break!
For information about staying on campus during breaks, see the Break Housing page.
As the end of the semester approaches, please read the following important information to help you prepare for winter closing:
Quiet hours for the reading period will be in effect from Friday, December 6, 2019 at 11:59 pm through the closing of the residence halls at 10:00 am on Saturday, December 14th. During this time, 24-hour quiet hours are in effect. Any gatherings and behavior disruptive to other residents will not be tolerated, and multiple offenses will result in student fines.
The residence halls close for winter break on Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 10:00 am. All residents should plan to be out of the residence halls by this time. While the residence halls are open until Saturday, December 14th, students are encouraged to leave the residence halls within 24 hours of completing their last exam.
During the break, health and safety inspections occur in each student room. Any observed violations of the law or campus policy will be reported to the appropriate parties and could lead to student fines or judicial action. Any unauthorized items found in the room will be confiscated and students will be fined. Students must be sure to remove all trash and leave their room in a clean and orderly fashion upon their departure. Failure to do so will result in a room cleaning fee.
Before departure, residents must do the following:
- Sign up for a checkout time on their RA's door. Residents must sign up at least 24 hours before their departure. Residents should be ready to leave the residence hall at the time of checkout. For winter break, only the last resident to leave each room needs to sign up for a checkout time.
- Defrost, clean, and unplug any mini-refrigerator in their assigned room. Students should consider placing a towel under the device as it defrosts to keep water puddles to a minimum. It is not necessary to unplug fridges in on-campus apartments.
- Remove all food from their assigned room and take all garbage to the residence hall's trash room. FMS will remove any improperly stored food, and charges the residents of the room.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances.
- Take home any approved pets, such as fish or birds.
- Take home all valuables. Residents should check to make sure they have left no personal belongings in the common or laundry rooms.
- For students with radiators in their rooms, turn the valve on. Keeping the heat on will help keep pipes from freezing.
- Move any furniture at least 3 inches away from the heating units to avoid any potential fire risks and for FMS to do maintenance work over the break.
- Ensure the window screens are in place, the windows are closed and locked, and the blinds are down.
- Upon departing, lock the doors to their assigned room.
For students not returning in the spring or switching rooms:
Students not returning next semester, for any reason, must return their room key to the Office of Residential Life no later than 10:00 am on Saturday, December 14, 2019.
Students switching rooms for the spring semester need to have all of their belongings out of their room and their key returned to the Office of Residential Life no later than 10:00 am Saturday, December 14, 2019. Students switching rooms will be offered storage through the Office of Residential Life to help accommodate their transition to their new room in the spring. Students moving into new rooms in the spring will be able to pick up their new keys when they return to campus in January.
Failure to return room keys to the Office of Residential Life will result in a $120 charge.
Travel extensions (for students needing to stay on campus a few extra days)
Students who need extra time before they depart can request to stay on campus by completing the Winter Extended Stay 2019 application. When the application goes live, it will be available on the Housing Director and is due by December 12, 2019.
All students who wish to return to campus before January 25, 2020 must register for January Housing here. Specific rates can be found on the application or at this link. Rates are between $200-$750 with various length and meal plan options.
Please keep in mind, the period between December 24, 2019 and January 1, 2020 has been designated as a blackout period where no student will be allowed on campus for any reason.
The Office of Residential Life offers on-campus storage to current Goucher students on a space available basis. Students may store items for up to a full year. Payments can be made using cash or Gopher Bucks only. For more information on our storage policies, click here. The Office of Residential Life will be selling boxes and storage spaces starting Monday, November 18, 2019. Students can place their items in the Heubeck storage unit from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm & 2:00 pm- 4:00 pm on the following days:
- Friday, December 6, 2019
- Monday, December 9, 2019 - Friday, December 13, 2019
Storage units will not be accessible after 4:00 pm on Friday, December 13, 2019.
The residence halls close for Spring Break on Saturday, March 14, 2020, at 10:00 am. Residents should coordinate their travel plans to vacate the halls by that time.
Before you depart, we ask that you prepare your room for checkout by completing the following:
- Please remove food and all garbage from your room. This is very important because open food containers and garbage are a prime cause of rodent and insect infestations. Food should be stored using the plastic bin provided to students at the start of the school year.
- Close and lock all windows and reinsert screens that are not in place.
- Take home all pet birds and fish.
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances (computers, lights, fans, alarms, etc.). However, you do not need to defrost or unplug your refrigerator during spring break.
- Clean up your room as best as possible. This includes removing any clothing and papers from the floor. In the event of a facilities emergency, a cluttered room impedes our ability to address the problem.
- Lock your door!!!
The residence halls reopen on Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
The residence halls close for all non-graduating students on Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. At that time all students who are not approved for extended stay are expected to depart for the summer. Graduating students can learn more about their closing dates under the Graduating Students subheading.
- Quiet hours will be in effect from Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. through Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
- During this period quiet must be maintained at all times in the residence halls. Any loud gatherings or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Failure to abide by quiet hours will result in sanctions through the student conduct process as well as possible fines.
Checking Out and Returning Keys
- Students should plan to depart campus no more than 24 hours after their last final examination.
- It is important to check out using one of our check out processes, as it is the best to avoid undue damage or cleaning charges.
- Students can choose from two processes, traditional or express, for checking out before they depart campus. Each individual in the room will need
to check out using one of these processes.
- Traditional Check Out
- Students will sign up to check out of their rooms with their RA before they depart for summer break.
- Residents can find sign-up sheets on their RA’s door to reserve a check-out time.
- Residents should sign up no later than 24 hours in advance and plan to leave upon completing this checkout.
- Once the checkout process is completed, the RA will issue a key envelope to the resident and they can turn their key into the Office of Residential Life and depart campus.
- Express Check Out
- Students can grab an express check out envelope from the Office of Residential Life. Envelopes will be kept at the front desk and by the front entrance when the office is closed.
- Once a resident is ready to depart, meaning their side of the room is clean and all belongings are vacated, residents will place their key in the express check out envelope and fill out the information.
- The last step is placing the express envelope in the drop box at Residential Life and departing campus. This step should only be completed when the student is ready to depart campus.
- Traditional Check Out
- Regardless of the process, when students depart, their assigned rooms need to be in
the condition that they were during move-in. This means that:
- Students should thoroughly clean their rooms and if residing in a suite or apartment their common rooms and bathroom.
- Students must remove all personal belongings from their room before departure.
- All college furniture assigned to the room must be present and accounted for before students check out with their RA. Students will be charged if furniture is missing.
- Students should close and lock all windows and their doors before departing.
- Students must return their room key to the Office of Residential Life before departing campus for Summer break. Failure to return your key will result in a $120 charge to your student billing account.
- Keys will only be accepted if they are placed in a Residential Life key envelope.
Students who go through the traditional check out process will obtain envelopes from
their RAs. Students who wish to do an express check out can find the express check
out envelopes outside the Office of Residential Life. Please make sure you include
your name and room number on the envelope to avoid any unnecessary charges.
- If the Office of Residential Life is open, it can be turned into the front desk staff.
- If the Office of Residential Life is closed, students can place their labeled envelope & key in the drop box to the right of the office’s front door.
- The Office of Residential Life offers limited storage on campus to returning students. Storage is on a space available basis. Items may be stored in our unit for up to a full year.
- The only acceptable forms of payment are cash and gopher bucks.
- Any items that students plan to store must be packed in the standard boxes supplied
by the Office of Residential Life. The only exception is refrigerators.
- Boxes can be purchased at the Office of Residential Life during business hours, which are Monday through Friday 9:00 am- 5:00 pm. Only boxes purchased from our office will be accepted
- Boxes measure 24''x18''x24''
- Pricing, as well as other information, can be found on our website at this link
Please check back in the Spring for information on Microfridge pick-ups!
- The residence halls close for all graduating seniors on Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
- Please review all other headings for closing specifics.
Extended Stay Requests
Please check back in the Spring for information on extended stay requests!