FAQ for Transfer Students

Below are some answers to frequently asked questions for transfer students, however if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions, Tina Caretti, at 410-337-6017 or Christina.Caretti@goucher.edu.

When is the application priority deadline?

  • Fall semester: May 1
    • (No applications will be reviewed after July 15)
  • Spring semester: December 1
    • (No applications will be be reviewed after January 1)
  • Rolling admission will continue based upon space availability
  • Notification is on a rolling basis

How do I apply?

Transfer students with 30 or more college credits:

  • Complete the Common Application for transfer students or the Goucher Transfer Application
  • Complete essay portion of the application (optional for Goucher Transfer Application)
  • Submit your official transcript(s) from all previously attended colleges/universities (unofficial "web generated" transcripts can be sent until the official copy is available)
  • Submit one letter of recommendation from a college professor (or work supervisor if a college professor letter of recommendation is not available) (optional for Goucher Transfer Application)
  • College Report and Mid Year Report are not required

Transfer students with less than 30 credits need to complete the above in addition to submitting their final high school transcript.

Can I meet with a transfer counselor before I apply?

Yes! We have a dedicated transfer counselor, Tina Caretti, who would be happy to help you navigate your college decision process. To set up an individual interview, please use our online scheduler.

Is it possible to set up a class visit?

Yes! Students are welcome to attend a class or meet with a specific faculty member. In order to accommodate your request, students must give at least 10 days notice. Please use our online scheduler.

How many credits will transfer?

Students can transfer up to 60 credits from community and/or four year colleges to be applied towards the Goucher degree. You must earn a minimum grade of a C- or better for the credit to transfer. Credit accepted for transfer to Goucher does not automatically apply toward The Goucher Commons Curriculum or the major. Official transfer credit evaluations are completed by the registrar and by individual department chairs for approval.

  • No credit is given for courses with pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades unless the grade is defined on the transcript or course catalog as a C- or better.
  • Audited courses are not accepted for credit.
  • Remedial courses are not accepted for credit.
  • Courses should be similar to courses that Goucher offers in its curriculum.

Do you accept AP credit?

Credit may be awarded for Advanced Placement scores of 4 or 5. Students must submit official copies for placement consideration. Please check the college catalogue for a full listing of acceptable AP exams and transfer credit equivalencies.

Do you accept CLEP credit?

CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) is not accepted for any college course work.

Is the transfer student curriculum different from the first-year student curriculum?

There are some slight variations of the new curriculum for transfer students. It depends on what courses you have taken and what credits will transfer over. For additional information, please review the curriculum for transfer students.

What are Goucher’s tuition & fees?

Visit our undergraduate fees and expenses page for details.

Do you award merit scholarships to transfer students?

Yes! Every transfer student who applies is automatically considered for a merit based scholarship which ranges from $15,000 - $26,500 depending upon GPA. A separate application is not required. Please visit our Transfer Scholarships page for more information.

Is financial aid available?

Yes! 97% of students at Goucher receive financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, loans and work-study, and Goucher is 12% below the national average for loan debt. To apply for federal and state financial aid, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Goucher's FAFSA school code is 002073.

If you have any questions concerning financial aid, please visit our Financial Aid website or email finaid@goucher.edu.

I attended a Maryland community college—how can I determine if my courses will transfer?

Please refer to the ARTSYS website to help determine course transferability. Please note that using ARTSYS does not serve as an official evaluation.

View a list of approved courses that fulfill Race, Power and Perspective and the Environmental Sustainability requirement from Maryland Community Colleges.

Where will I live as a transfer student?

Our 287-acre, picturesque campus offers residence halls, on-campus apartments, as well as special interest housing. Learn more about residential life.

Who should I contact if I have further questions?

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Tina Caretti, Assistant Director for Transfer Admissions, directly by email or by phone at 410-337-6017.