Reporting an Incident

You have options when it comes to deciding whether and/or how to report an incident of sexual assault or other gender-based misconduct.

Concerns & Confidentiality

Confidential Support

If you are unsure about if you want to discuss an incident, it is recommended that you talk with a confidential support person. A confidential consultant is an employee who serves in a privileged professional capacity (e.g., mental health counselors, nurses, and doctors, or clergy acting in a spiritual capacity) are not bound by this expectation, except as required by law.

For more confidential options and information, visit our Confidential Support page. If you then decide that you want to report an incident and explore your options, you can contact the Office of Title IX.

Concerns about Reporting

Alcohol and/or drug use sometimes occurs during the time of the incident, which makes some students hesitant to come forward or fully cooperate in an investigation. However, Goucher provides amnesty for students regarding alcohol and drug consumption during informal or formal complaint procedures. Any Reporting Party, Responding Party, or witness will not be subject to disciplinary action under the college’s Code of Conduct for personal consumption of alcohol or drugs at or near the time of the incident, provided that any such violations did not place the health or safety of any other person at risk.

Report vs. Formal Complaint

A report is a notification to the Title IX Coordinator, by any reporting person, regarding an incident where a policy violation occurred. A report may include a request for supportive measures, no further action, and/or to initiate a formal complaint process by filing a complaint.

By contrast, a formal complaint is a document signed by the Title IX Coordinator and the complainant, that initiates the college’s formal investigation process. A reporting person has four years from the time the incident occurred to make a formal complaint of sexual misconduct, relationship violence, or stalking to the college.

To the extent possible, the college will respect an individual’s autonomy in making these critical decisions and provide the support that will assist each individual in making that determination. A report may become a formal complaint, initiated by either the reporting party or the college, as more fully described in this policy. To file a complaint, please contact the Title IX Coordinator.

Reporting Anonymously

Although the College encourages victims to talk to someone, the College provides an online system that allows for anonymous reporting. You can find this reporting form located at the top of this page.

Reporting Confidentially

If you are unsure whether to report to the Office of Title IX, we encourage you to seek guidance and support from an on-campus confidential consultant. Please note that college employees that do not have confidentiality privileges are required to inform the College if a student discloses an incident, even if that is not the intention of the disclosure. In that case, the college will do what it can to respect the wishes of the reporting student while also doing what is deemed necessary to protect you and other members of the campus community—this may mean conducting a formal investigation.

Role of Title IX Coordinator

The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for overseeing compliance with the Title IX, VAWA, and other related federal and state laws across the College. This individual is also responsible for coordinating the College’s responses to all complaints involving sex discrimination and other related conduct.

What may be discussed with the Title IX coordinator

If you want to speak with the coordinator about an incident involving you or someone you know, you have the freedom to share any information you have about the event. It may include any the following information about the incident(s):

  • location
  • date and time
  • detailed description
  • the name and/or description of the alleged respondent(s)
  • the name of the victim(s)
  • evidence of the misconduct that is in your possession

*All employees, including confidential ones, are obligated by their profession to report life-threatening situations and incidents of child sexual abuse by a caregiver (e.g., parent/guardian, camp counselor, coach, etc.) to the appropriate authorities, such as police or the Department of Social Services. You are welcome to ask questions regarding these requirements to any of the resources listed on this site before reporting an incident.

What to expect with your meeting with the Office of Title IX

During the meeting, you have an opportunity to talk about the incident if you would like. Then the Title IX staff member will explain the options for support, accommodations, and the processes, which include an informal process or a formal Title IX investigation. You are not required to decide whether or not you wish to pursue process at the meeting. The TIX member will follow up with you at an agreed designated time to see if you have decided on a course of action.

Reporting to Goucher's Office of Title IX

How to Report


You may submit an online report. Please be aware that if the report does not include names that the college will be limited in its action. If you believe that you have witnessed or have been a victim of sexual or other gender-based misconduct, please use the form below to report the incident directly to the college. Any questions about the complaint form, please contact the Office of Title IX at or 410-337-6570.

public reporting form


You can submit a report via email by emailing the Title IX Coordinator at Someone will respond to your email within 24 hours.

In Person

To submit a report in person, please email and include your availability. Someone from the office will confirm a meeting with you within 24 hours.

Via Faculty, Staff & the Office of Campus Safety

Except for confidential employees, Goucher faculty and staff are Responsible Employees, meaning they will inform the Office of Title IX about disclosures.

What happens after I submit a report?

After receiving the report, The Office of Title IX will reach out via email to offer you a meeting., You have the right to decline the meeting. Even if you agree to the meeting initially, you can decline if you have changed your mind.

If a third party reports an incident, the Office of Title IX will l reach out to the identified complainant and send an email outlining their rights, options for support, and offer to meet with them.

Once a report from a person of alleged prohibited conduct is received, the Title IX Coordinator makes an initial assessment of the report. That includes the following: (1) determine proper jurisdiction and complaint procedures; and (2) respond to any immediate health or safety concerns raised by the report.


While we typically allow you to choose your course of action, in certain circumstances, the college must take action for the safety of the campus community.

  • If there is an imminent danger to someone;
  • The College has received a pattern of reports regarding an alleged assailant; or
  • If a weapon or drugs other than alcohol used to facilitate an assault.

Reporting to the Police

If you choose to report to the police and press criminal charges, the college will support you. To report:

  • Call 911.
  • Call Goucher’s Office of Campus Safety, 410-337-6112, or come to the office (Heubeck Hall, ground floor), and ask for assistance in calling the police.
  • Call the local police department (county 410-887-2214, city 410-396-2525).
  • Go directly to the closest police station. The nearest precinct to Goucher is 700 E Joppa Rd, Baltimore (Towson area).

NOTE: The criminal reporting process is not confidential since all reports are a matter of public record. Therefore, the college may receive information about the assault and have an obligation to take specific actions in response. Also, a report to the Office of Campus Safety does trigger a report to the Office of Title IX; however, this does not automatically trigger a formal Title IX complaint.