At Goucher, academic advisors work closely with students to accomplish the following three goals:
- Academic planning, course registration, and monitoring academic progress
- Connecting students with Goucher resources
- Guiding students in a process of self-discovery—identifying passions and interests—and linking to Goucher opportunities
Advising is a two-way responsibility, a collaboration between the student and the academic advisor. It is imperative to have conversations and to keep each other informed.
Pre-Major Academic Advising
All first-year students will have a pre-major academic advisor to assist you with academic planning. Your advisor will assist you in navigating the resources, expectations, and challenges of being a new Goucher student. Once you have determined a course of major study, your pre-major advisor will assist you in the major declaration process. When you declare your major, you'll be assigned a faculty advisor in that academic discipline who will continue to support you until you have completed all graduation requirements.
What are your responsibilities as an advisee?
- Know how to contact your advisor and prepare for and attend advising meetings
- Select courses based on knowledge of interests, strengths, and requirements and be able to justify choices
- Know what services are available for support at the college and utilize the resources that are recommended to you by your advisor
- Become an active and engaged learner and know what it takes to be a successful student
- Know how to be a member of the Goucher community
What are the responsibilities of the advisor (throughout your college years)?
- Assist in formulating an academic plan
- Explain Goucher Commons, major, and other curricular requirements
- Meet and discuss the student’s academic interests on a regular basis
- Recommend opportunities for personal and academic growth
- Aid student in making connections and making informed decisions at Goucher
- Interpret institutional procedures
- Refer students to specific campus or community resources that help with unique needs
- Encourage students to meet with professors, or refer to appropriate academic resources on campus
- Help identify activities and programs on campus that reflect student’s interest
As the semester progresses, look for new updates and helpful resources from your Pre-Major Academic Advisors. This includes information on majors and minors at Goucher, learning how to use advising resources to assist with degree planning, spring semester pre-registration workshops, and accessing campus student-support resources. Please contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and schedule appointments through Navigate. When scheduling your meeting, please indicate the topic you would like to discuss and how you would like to meet (in-person, phone, or Zoom), so we can be prepared to assist you. In some cases, we may be able to assist you completely via email.