Information for Graduate Degree Candidates

The registrar, in conjunction with program directors, is responsible for certifying that all graduation requirements have been met prior to the awarding of degrees. The Office of the Registrar is located in Dorsey Center Room 207.

Students may receive their degree and diploma in August, December, or May. The Commencement ceremony takes place once a year only, in May. All students completing a master’s degree and graduating that academic year may participate in the May Commencement.

It is the responsibility of each student to monitor his/her/their academic progress. The student is expected to know the graduation requirements pertinent to his/her/their program, to be cognizant of his/her/their grade point average, to make appropriate elective course selections, and to add/drop courses to facilitate attainment of his/her/their educational goals. To assist in making these decisions, the college provides each student with an academic advisor.

Commencement Roadmap


How do I apply for graduation?

Complete the online Graduate application for Graduation in myGoucher. Instructions for accessing the application are provided below. Questions about the application can be directed to the Office of the Registrar, at or 410-337-6090.

Instructions to accessing the Application for Graduation:

  1. Log into MyGoucher
  2. Click on "MyGoucher Links" tab
  3. Click on the "Graduate Application for Graduation" link (listed in the Student Links section)
  4. Complete the application and submit it via the "Submit" button.

When should I submit my application for degree?

You must apply for your degree by February 9, 2024, as indicated on the Important Dates for Students page. Failure to complete the application by the deadline could result in you're not being allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony. Requests to apply after the deadline should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar at

When and how will I know that I have completed all degree requirements and am cleared to graduate?

Each semester, you should check with your advisor to update your program plan. Your program plan will indicate requirements that are not complete or pending. Please meet with your advisor before the end of the add/drop period each semester to determine if any additional courses and requirements are needed.

Will I be notified if I have any holds on my record that could prevent me from graduating or prevent me from receiving my diploma?

The Office of Financial Aid and the Bursar’s Office, as well as any other office having a hold on your account, will notify you prior to graduation if there are any holds on your record that will prevent you from receiving your diploma. If you receive financial aid, you must complete an exit interview with the Office of Financial Aid prior to graduation.

Office of Financial Aid -, 410-337-6141

Bursar's Office -, 410-337-6022

What happens to a student who completes degree requirements at the end of the summer or fall semesters?

The college confers (awards) degrees in May, August, and December each academic year. Students who complete their degree requirements the December prior to May commencement and who plan to complete their degrees in August of the same year are cleared for degree completion in the same manner as graduates completing their degrees in May. Likewise, once the clearance process has been completed and the degree conferred on the transcript, the Office of the Registrar mails diplomas to students at the address indicated on the Application for Graduation.

Are degree candidates exempt from taking final exams?

Degree candidates are not exempt from taking final exams.

What is the minimum GPA required to graduate?

Please consult the Graduate Catalog (PDF) for the GPA standards for graduate programs.

What grade must be obtained to complete a major requirement?

Please consult your program catalog for those requirements.

How many credits are needed for graduation?

Please consult the Graduate Catalog (PDF) for the total credits needed for graduation.

How do I receive my diploma?

Students are not issued diplomas at commencement, only a diploma cover. Diplomas are mailed to May semester graduating students between mid-June and the end of July. Graduating students not participating in commencement receive their diplomas according to the same timeline; a cover is not included but may be picked up in person at the Office of the Registrar after degrees have been awarded.

What appears on the diploma?

The Goucher diploma has your name, degree (based on your program), and date of graduation. Specializations are printed on the transcript but not on the diploma.

How do I ensure that my name appears on my diploma as I choose; How will my name be listed in the commencement program?

The Graduate Application for Graduation allows students to specify their preference for their name’s appearance on the diploma and in the commencement program. The information provided in the application will be used for the diploma and the program. While Goucher honors gender preferences in the appearance of these names, students should comply with the first, middle (name or initial), last name combination naming convention. Students whose name preference on their diploma changes after printing or who wish to obtain a duplicate can submit a request via the Replacement Diploma Request form; a $50.00 fee applies.


When do I receive information about invitations, photographs, and Commencement activities?

Detailed information concerning all aspects of graduation can be found on the Commencement page.

How do I order my cap and gown?

The 2024 regalia website will be live near the end of January.

Go to to purchase your regalia, announcements, thank you cards, and more. Early Bird Pricing lasts through April 27th. Any orders placed after this date may incur additional fees. The final date to place your order is May 8th.

Any questions or concerns can be directed to the College Store Customer Service at


Which degree candidates will be allowed to participate in the Commencement exercises?

As it has been customary, only those earning a master's degree will be invited to this celebration. Because commencement exercises are held only once a year in May, only graduate students who have completed all academic requirements for the appropriate master’s degree and who have settled all college accounts and all student disciplinary matters are allowed to participate. Graduate students in good academic standing who are within six credits of completing graduation requirements may petition to participate in commencement exercises only if they can demonstrate that the remaining credits and requirements will be completed by August 31st of that year. Students must submit their petition to the Associate Provost for Curriculum at least four weeks prior to Commencement. The commencement program will list all such students as completing degree requirements by August 31 of that year.

Commencement Roadmap


How do I request an official transcript?

The Office of the Registrar oversees the provision of transcripts and ONLY issues official transcripts. To request an official transcript, students can complete the transcript request form on the Office of the Registrar website. All other details regarding transcripts can also be found on that webpage.

Current students can access their unofficial transcript at any time via myGoucher. Unofficial transcripts are not currently available to students after graduating, as access to myGoucher is suspended after students achieve alum status.

Please note that as many students request transcripts immediately following spring semester, processing timelines may be delayed. Students should expect delays in transcript request fulfillment during that time and plan accordingly.