Registering for an Internship Course
Course Credit & Hour Requirements
- Internship courses will now be offered for 0-4 credits, depending on the major
- Each credit will require 45 hours of work at the internship site, so a 1 credit internship course = 45 hours of work at the internship site, 2 credits = 90 hours, 3 credits = 135 hours and 4 credits = 180 hours.
- A zero-credits internship course requires 30 hours of work at the internship site.
For more information, please contact the CEO at email@example.com or 410-337-6191.
What are the steps to Register for an internship course?
In order to recognize the learning that occurs in internships, academic departments may award credit for an internship if a student gains approval from a faculty internship sponsor within the department they wish to receive credit from and the internship is related to a student's major or career goals. Internship courses are implemented at the departmental level. Each department has established internship courses that are specific to their department with distinct prerequisites and academic requirements.
Follow these steps to apply for academic credit:
- Read the Internship Information Sheet to ensure your understanding of the academic internship policies.
- Confirm eligibility to receive credit by meeting with your Academic Advisor.
- Secure an internship and discuss responsibilities, expectations, and supervision plans with an internship Site Supervisor.
- Discuss internship with faculty member in department from which you are seeking credit
and request they become the Faculty Internship Sponsor for the internship course. Determine learning outcomes and how to demonstrate achievement
of those, in collaboration with this faculty member. It is the faculty internship
sponsor's responsibility to decide if the internship warrants academic credit.
- If you are applying for zero-credit, you will skip this step. Zero-credit internshp courses do not accrue credit and do not satisfy any requirements, and therefore do not require any academic work.
- If applying for credit for an independent international internship, that is, not part
of your study abroad program, meet with the Office of Global Education to gain information and approval.
- It is important to have all of the above-mentioned conversations and all necessary information before starting the Internship Learning Agreement (ILA) because you will not be able to save a draft. Use the Word sample below to if you want to start a draft.
- Complete the Internship Learning Agreement (ILA) by Requesting an Experience in Handshake. You will see the Internship Learning Agreement (ILA) as an Experience Type.
- From the Handshake home screen, go to Career Center > Experiences, and Request an Experience.
The CEO will review your submitted ILA and start the approval process, which is all managed and recorded in Handshake. You will be able to track the process via Handshake to determine when approvals from your Academic Advisor, Faculty Internship Sponsor, Site Supervisor, and the Office of Global Education (if applicable) are received.
To access your ILA and track the approval process, go to Career Center at the upper-right of your Handshake account, then click on Experiences.
Contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-337-6191 if you have questions.
When are the deadlines and important dates to know?
Feb 4, 2022 – Early Deadline to submit an ILA for Spring internships and Work due to Faculty Internship Sponsor for a Winter internship (important date for the ILA)
April 1, 2022 – Final Deadline to submit an ILA for Spring internships
May 12, 2022 – Work due to Faculty Internship Sponsor for Spring internships (important date for the ILA)
June 3, 2022 - Early Deadline to submit an ILA for Summer Internships
July 8, 2022 - Final Deadline to submit an ILA for Summer Internships
August 12, 2022 - Work due to Faculty Internship Sponsor for a Summer internship (important date for the ILA)
What forms do I need to register for an internship course?
Please review first:
Internship Learning Agreement (ILA) - please note, you need to Request an Experience
Optional: Review Sample ILA
What forms need to be Submitted at the end of the Internship?
Is there a fee to register for an internship course?
During the fall and spring semesters, most full time students build their internship course into their course load. As long as students do not exceed the 18-hour max load, there is no additional fee for academic credit for an internship. If students do go into course overload, they will need to 1) petition the Associate Provost to be in overload, and 2) pay any fees associated with that overload. For more information, please see the Part-Time Undergraduates section on this page.
For summer and winter internships, there is a per-credit fee associated with registering for an academic course for an internship. For more information, please see the Part-Time Undergraduate section on this page.