Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

What is the minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for Goucher?

Applicants whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate language proficiency with recommended test scores of TOEFL (80ibt), IELTS (6.5), or Duolingo (105).

Students who have received a diploma or certificate from a secondary/high school where English is the primary language of instruction are exempted from this requirement.

Does Goucher have an ESL program?
At this time Goucher does not offer ESL classes.

Is an interview required for international students?
No, but it is highly encouraged. We want to learn why you are interested in Goucher, and why you're a great fit for us. You can check interview availability on our Online Scheduler.

Can I get credits at Goucher for an IB diploma?
Yes. Goucher will grant credit for examination scores of at least 5 in the higher-level subject areas. You will be placed in courses at the discretion of each department, and completion of a full IB curriculum may enable you to enroll as a sophomore. Goucher also recognizes academic work completed through programs such as the General Certificate of Education A-level, French Baccalaureate, and German Abitur for advanced credit.

What are the application deadlines for international students?
You can find application deadlines, notification dates, and deposit due dates on our International Students page.

How can I check on the status of my application?
After your application has been received, you will receive two emails. The first confirms that we received your application. The second will contain a link, username, and password giving you access to our Check My App website.

When will I be informed of my admissions decision?
That depends on the timeline of your application. Check our International Students page to discover when your notification letter will be mailed.


Financial Aid

What is the cost of attendance?
The total cost of attendance for 2019-20 is $64,050 USD. This includes both direct costs (tuition and fees, room and board on campus) and indirect costs (books and supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses). This cost does not include health insurance which averages about $1,580 for students. For more information on the cost of a Goucher education, visit Undergraduate Tuition, Fees, and Costs.

Am I required to demonstrate financial support?
You are required to demonstrate financial support by submitting a International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA). The ISFAA must show at least $30,000 USD per year in expected support for educational expenses. Additional financial documents will be requested for students requiring an F-1 visa.

What financial aid is available to an international student?
Goucher works hard to make a Goucher education available to those who we think will flourish in our community. You're eligible for both a merit scholarship and institutional need-based grant aid from Goucher.

What is the average financial aid package Goucher students receive?
The average institutional aid for admitted Goucher students in fall 2019 was $38,741 USD.

What scholarships are available to international students? What is the application process for these scholarships?
You're eligible for all of Goucher's merit scholarships. For most of these, you will be automatically considered. However, for the Fine and Performing Arts scholarship program, you must submit a separate application. For more information, see the scholarship information webpage.


International Student Life

How many countries are currently represented on Goucher's campus?
There are 50 countries represented at Goucher, which include the following: Afghanistan, Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, Benin, Brazil, Cameroon, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Congo, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Venezuela, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe.

How do I choose a major or minor? Do I have to apply to the departments directly?
You're not required to declare a major until your second year, although you can do it sooner if you like. You do not have to apply officially to the department; the department chair just has to sign a form. Your declaration is also non-binding. You can change your major at any time as long as you're on track to finish it by the end of your four years. We encourage you to explore many different disciplines during your first year.

What sort of support does Goucher provide to international students on campus?
Admissions works with international students during the college search and application process. They can answer any questions you may have about the application process or what it means to be an international student at Goucher. They can also assist you with non-immigrant visa paperwork, such as the I-20. You can email us at Once you enroll, you will have access to International Student Adviser Karen Sykes. Karen hosts an international student orientation that will help you transition to college. She also will help with any documentation or regulatory matters that may occur during your time at Goucher.

What cultural and affinity-based student organizations are available on campus?
Goucher is a campus with room for all kinds of people. As a result, we have a number of student and cultural organizations where you will find students who share a cultural background or an interest in certain parts of the world. Here are a few examples: the Goucher International Student Association (GISA), Asian Student Association (serves as an umbrella organization for students who identify as Asian American, East Asian, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander, South Asian, and Southeast Asian), Hispanic Organization for Learning and Awareness (HOLA), Multicultural Understanding to Transform Stereotypes (MUTTS), and other clubs and organizations.

Can international students live on campus during breaks and over the summer?
Yes. But you must submit an application to the Office of Residential Life if you need winter or summer housing.

Can international students get jobs on campus?
Yes. F-1 students at Goucher College are allowed to work on campus 20 hours a week or less while school is in session and a maximum of 29 hours per week during breaks. We host an on-campus jobs fair at the beginning of the academic year to connect interested students with employers. Karen Sykes, international student advisor, can answer your questions about the process of finding on-campus employment.

I have other questions that are not answered here. To whom should I direct them?
Questions not answered here can be directed to

For more information please see our International brochure.