Declaring your Major or Minor

Students must declare a major by the 9th week in the 2nd semester of their sophomore year. 2nd semester sophomores by credits only (i.e. you student who have transferred credits to Goucher) should consider declaring a major as soon as possible to stay on track to graduate.

Students who will be abroad their 2nd semester of their sophomore year or first semester of their junior year should declare prior to their study abroad so that they have enough time to get to know you’re their advisor before departure.

During the application process, stating  a desired course of study is not the same thing as declaring you’re a major. To declare a major, students must meet with the program coordinator in the program of interest. Program coordinators can provide more information on the major requirements and answer any questions regarding the field of study. They will assist students in assigning a faculty advisor who will guide them through the completion of the major requirements and help them graduate on time. Students wishing to delete a major/minor/concentration may submit the request themselves using the link in myGoucher.

How to declare or change your major or minor

  1. Student should locate the program coordinator for their new major, minor, or concentration.
  2. The student will then contact the program coordinator to request a new major, minor, or concentration.
  3. Program coordinators will complete the declaration, using the link in myGoucher, Request to Change Student Major, Minor, or Concentration. Please note that the form can only be submitted by program coordinators
  4. The declaration form will display the student’s current programs of study and
  5. The program coordinator will select the new major, minor, or concentration and select the advisor.
  6. The  form will log the request into a database and send a notification to the Associate Provost’s office with information provided in the form.
  7. The Associate Provost’s office will review and process the request. Once processed, students will receive a notification of the requested changes and the information will be entered onto the student’s academic record and appear on the student‘s transcript.

Majors, minors and concentrations can be changed at any time.

How to delete your major, minor, or concentration

  1. Students should select Delete Major, Minor, or Concentration from theStudent Links section of myGoucher
  2. The web application will show the student’s current programs of study.
  • 3. The student can select one or more to delete.
  • 4. If a student only has one major, they will not be able to delete the major. Instead, the student should submit a request to change their existing major.
  • 5. The form will log the request into a database and send a notification to the Associate Provost’s office with information provided in the form.
  • 6. The Associate Provost’s office will review and process the request. A notification will be sent to the student’s email and former advisor. 

What if I’m not ready to declare a major?

Pre-Major Academic Advising: All incoming first-year students are assigned a Pre-Major Academic Advisor. Pre-Major Academic Advisor will help students develop an academic plan of study, connect with program coordinators, and guide them in a process of self-discovery that will ultimately lead students to declare a major. Students should visit the Advising Resources page for more information.

Pre-Major advisors offer major exploration appointments for their advisees. During major exploration appointments, students will:

  • Discuss courses of interest.
  • Investigate majors and minors offered at Goucher to see what opportunities are available.
  • Explore the DegreeWorks “what if” function to review a major and see what courses students would need to complete, and what courses they have already taken.

Students may contact the Career Education Office (CEO) to make an appointment to discuss major choices  and how they may connect to career options.  Fore more information, please visit our Majors and Careers webpage.

Benefits of declaring your major or minor

  • Declaring a major will help students stay on track to graduate and ensure that students take all the required courses. Once students declare a major, they will be assigned a faculty advisor in that major. Both will work on a plan to complete you’re the degree requirements and learn more about opportunities related to  the field of study such as study abroad programs and internships.
  • Some programs require that students declare the major in order to take certain courses.

What is an IIM Major?

The Individualized Interdisciplinary Major requires early and specific planning in order to fulfill all of the degree requirements. It involves combining three (3) academic areas of interest.  Students will be assigned a faculty advisor for each of the academic disciplines of study. Please contact the IIM director to begin this process.