Important Procedures & Information

Access your DegreeWorks audit

Use your DegreeWorks audit to check your progress in completing your general education requirements (either LERs or GCRs depending on your catalogue year). If your catalogue year is prior to 2017-18, please check with your major or minor advisor or department chair for an update on outstanding major and minor requirements. Those working from the 2017-18, and beyond, catalogue year may use the DegreeWorks audit to view outstanding major and minor requirements. Use this link to the DegreeWorks page for instructions for accessing and understanding your DegreeWorks audit.

Access myGoucher

Log into to access your class schedule, course history, and space in classes. For help, visit the myGoucher FAQ page.


The Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies assigns and processes all changes of advisors. Students must consult with their advisors before making course selections. Course change forms must be signed by advisors prior to submission to the Office of the Registrar.

Alternate Courses

In case your primary selections are closed at the time of registration, alternate courses should be selected.


Election of the audit option must be done at the point of registration for the course or within the audit deadline for adding a course. Permission to audit must be obtained in writing from their advisor and the instructor of each course. Successful completion of audits will result in an AU on the transcript. There will be no notation on the transcript in the case of unsuccessful completion or a drop of an audited course. Students may drop an audited course through the last day of classes. If the student stops attending, the instructor may request that the audited course be dropped from the student’s schedule. College policy prohibits changing an audit to credit or vice versa after the audit deadline.

Baltimore Student Exchange Program (BSEP) Enrollment

Schedules from colleges are available on the web. BSEP registration forms must be submitted to the SAS office with all appropriate signatures. Participating institutions process the BSEP forms at the end of their students’ registration period. Goucher students are notified of acceptance as it occurs. Seniors are strongly encouraged not to enroll in BSEP courses during their last semester, as BSEP grades not submitted by the graduation clearance deadline can impact the student’s ability to graduate. BSEP courses may only be taken in the fall or spring semester (not summer or winter semesters). Ordinarily only 2 courses may be taken per year. Courses must be taken for regular grade.

Please click here for more details about the Baltimore Student Exchange Program.

Directory Information

Directory information may be released to those requesting it unless the student specifically requests otherwise. A student may request that all or a portion of this information not be released by filing a written request to that effect with the Office of the Registrar. Requests to withhold directory information must be filed annually with the Office of the Registrar. For more information about directory information, view the Goucher College FERPA webpages.

Drop & Withdrawal Deadlines

The last day a student may drop a semester course without a withdrawal appearing on the transcript is the tenth day of classes. Check the Important Dates for Students calendar for exact dates. If a student drops a class after this time, the student will receive a grade of “W”. The last day to withdraw from a course is the last day of class. Deadlines for half-semester courses are in proportion to their seven-week length. Always check the Important Dates for Students calendar for exact dates.

Final Experience/Exam Schedule

The finals schedule is posted on the Records and Registration website by the start date of the semester. Look for the Final Exam/Experience Schedule on the Registrar’s website

Internships (or Off-Campus Independent Work)

Students register for an internship course to receive academic credit for an internship. To register for the course, students submit the Internship Learning Agreement (ILA), which is available on the Career Education Office (CEO) webpage: These courses will be added to students' registration once the approved ILA is received by the Office of the Registrar from the CEO.

Deadlines for submitting the ILA are published on the Important Dates for Students webpage. Students may apply 8 internship credits to the 120 credits required for the degree.

Location of Classes

All classes meet at Goucher College unless otherwise indicated in the Course Schedule Booklet.


Forms and instructions for declaring or changing a major and/or minor are available in the Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies. All students must declare a major before registering for the first semester of their third year. The completed forms are submitted to the Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies in Van Meter G24.

Name and/or Gender Change Policy

Non Goucher Courses

Students may take pre-approved courses at other institutions during the summer or winter by submitting the Transfer Course Approval Form to the Office of the Registrar. Only 15 hours in total, of non-Goucher summer and winter work with a grade of C- or better, are applicable to the degree.

Pass/No Pass

Students may choose to take two courses per academic year on a pass/no pass basis. In the regular semester and in 7-week courses, the pass/no pass option must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by the last day of classes. Pass is equivalent to any grade from A through C- as normally interpreted at Goucher College. A grade of P or NP will have no effect on a student's grade point average. Students who wish to switch from pass/no pass to graded status may do so up until the last day of classes. After that the choice is irrevocable.

BSEP courses and summer courses taken elsewhere are not ordinarily open to pass/no pass election. Department chairs may specify that an off-campus experience can be taken only on a pass/no pass basis; such a requirement is not part of the student's pass/no pass quota. Courses elected with a pass/no pass option will not count toward requirements in the major or minor (unless such courses are required to be so graded). If a major requirement is taken pass/no pass the department must require that the course be re-taken for a regular grade or identify an appropriate substitute. Courses taken for a pass/no pass grade do not count as "graded credits" for Dean's list purposes.


Course prerequisites are indicated in the Academic Catalogue. When prerequisites are not satisfied, the permission of the instructor is required.


Registration for the spring semester is held in November and registration for fall is held in April. Current students should select courses during the advising period (see Important Dates for Students).

Repeated Courses

If a student repeats a course, all course iterations and grades will be listed on the transcript but only the grade and credits from the most recent iteration will count towards the student’s GPA and total credits towards graduation.

Academic programs decide if a student must repeat a course in the major if the grade was below C-, or if they will permit the student to substitute another course for the major. Any Academic Program may set a policy that majors may not retake more than two courses required for the major for which they received a less than satisfactory grade.

This policy does not apply to withdrawals and does not include courses that may be repeated for credit as listed in this catalogue. (Note that a student who earns an F in the second iteration of a repeated course, under this policy, will lose any prior credits earned via a previous iteration.)

Students repeating a letter-graded course must take the course for a letter grade any subsequent time the course is taken to take advantage of the repeat grade policy. If the student originally took the course on a pass/no-pass basis, the course must be taken again on a pass/no-pass basis to take advantage of the repeat grade policy.

Topics courses are an exception, and are repeatable when offered for a different topic.

Senior Thesis

In order to register for a Senior Thesis, students must complete a Senior Thesis Form and submit it to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies.

Seven Week Courses

Students taking first and second seven week courses should register for those courses during the registration period. There is a special add/drop period for these courses (see Important Dates for Students).

Signatures - Course Change Forms

The advisor's signature is needed on all course change forms. In addition, the instructor's signature is required to add all closed courses, audits, courses where the required prerequisite courses have not been fulfilled, Pilates and independent work. Independent work also requires the program director’s signature. Private music lessons require the advisor's and the music secretary's signatures. Attached emails of approval will be accepted as signatures.


01 indicates the course meets for the entire fourteen weeks of the semester. 02 indicates the course meets for the first seven weeks of the semester. 03 indicates the course meets for the second seven weeks of the semester.

Time Conflicts

Students should not select courses with overlapping or conflicting times. These courses will not be processed.

Veteran's Readmission Policy

Writing Proficiency

The College Writing Program (CWP) is a requirement for graduation from Goucher.

Earning CWP: The Basic Steps for all Incoming Students

(Transfer students may apply earlier, in some cases. Please see the note below.)

  1. All incoming students must take WRT 181or FYS 100W, the honors hybrid, during their first year.
  2. Please note that the Honors sections, FYS 100W, are only offered in the fall semester.
  3. After passing WRT 181or FYS 100W, students will take a WEC course (Writing Enriched Curriculum) in any discipline.
  4. Please note that while we strongly encourage students to take their WEC course in their second year, they can choose to wait until their third year. Some advanced students, with input from their advisors, may take their WEC course during the second semester of their first year.
  5. After passing WRT 181or FYS 100W, and a WEC course, students may apply to earn CWP by submitting a portfolio in December or May.

Please look for the Call for CWP Submissions early in Fall 2019. At that time, you will be invited to submit a portfolio of your writing.

If you have questions, please contact Phaye Poliakoff-Chen (, the Writing Program Director.