Arsht Presidential Diplomats
The Arsht Presidential Diplomats are a distinguished group of student leaders chosen each year by the College to represent Goucher at a variety of community-facing events and in meetings with community, governmental, and business leaders. Administered within the Roxana Cannon Arsht '35 Center for Ethics and Leadership, these twenty-five undergraduate and graduate student leaders represent the various constituencies within Goucher’s diverse student population.
The Arsht Presidential Diplomats will assist the President in representing the College at both on and off- campus events, accompany the President on visits with city, county, state, and federal governmental officials, corporate and non-profit executives, and current and prospective donors to the College. Arsht Presidential Diplomats may also be asked to serve on special Presidential and/or Board of Trustees committees, as well as provide feedback to the President on key issues. New ideas and initiatives will continue to be integrated into the scope of the Presidential Diplomats role at the College.
In the spirit of developing exemplary leaders like Roxana Cannon Arsht '35 and Adrienne Arsht, all Arsht Presidential Diplomats will have the opportunity to gain professional development leadership experience while contributing to the College through their service as a Diplomat.
- Participate in special Arsht Presidential Diplomats-only leadership development workshops with non-profit organization, corporate, and governmental leaders
- Accompany the President and meet with local, state, and national governmental officials and civic leaders
- Represent Goucher College at various community events
- Participate in local, national, and global recruitment initiatives with the President, Provost, and/or Vice President of Enrollment Management
- Receive invitations to exclusive high-profile Goucher events
- Become eligible to be nominated as a recent graduate trustee to the Board of Trustees upon graduation
- Membership is limited to twenty-five currently enrolled Goucher College undergraduate and graduate students.
- Prospective Diplomats must be actively engaged in their respective academic communities, maintain a GPA of 3.00 and remain in good standing as per the Goucher College Student Handbook.
- The Presidential Diplomats must possess strong leadership and communication skills and demonstrate a sense of Gopher Pride as evidenced by their involvement in Goucher affiliated organizations and/or athletic teams.
- Once selected, members commit to attend an annual multi-day, professional leadership development workshop, monthly meetings with the President and/or other members of the Goucher senior leadership team and provide at least 20 hours of service per semester (fall/spring).
- Selection is based on a nomination, application, and interview process. Goucher College faculty, staff, AAGC members, and currently enrolled students may elect to nominate a currently enrolled Goucher College student by completing the Presidential Diplomats Nomination form.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
- All selections are based on nomination only.
- Members of the Arsht Presidential Diplomats will be invited to renew annually provided the student continues to remain enrolled at Goucher College, maintains all other eligibility requirements, and upholds the policies outlined in the Arsht Presidential Diplomats Membership Agreement.
- For the inaugural class of Arsht Presidential Diplomats beginning this fall, nominations forms will open on Monday, August 30th at 8:00 am (EDT) and close on Friday, September 10, 2021, at 5:00 pm (EDT).
- Students selected for an interview will be notified on Tuesday, September 14, 2021, by 5:00 pm (EDT).
- All interviews will occur between September 20 – 29th, 2021. Final decision notifications will be made by Friday, October 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm (EDT).
- Students extended an invitation to become an Arsht Presidential Diplomat will have until Friday, October 6, 2021, at 5:00 pm (EDT) to accept.