Learning Goals & Outcomes
Arabic Studies Minor
- Students will be able to understand, speak, and write in Arabic at the intermediate level.
- Students will become familiar with major concerns and challenges in Arab society, encompassing colonial, political, gender, economical, and religious issues and how they identify how these issues impact modern Arabs.
- Students will be able to understand modern Arab culture by studying major Arab literary and artistic productions (novels, short stories, poetry, music, films).
- Students will gain knowledge of major Arab critics and feminists (Edward Said, Nawal Saadawi) and contrast these with often negative Orientalist representations of Arab societies.
- Through direct encounter with Arab communities (via ICA or study abroad) students will gain first hand and deep insights into Arab culture.
Updated: February 2018