B.A./M.A.T. 4+1 FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the Master of Arts in Teaching program and the Master of Education program? Which one should I pick?

The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program is for those who have taken courses focused on a specific content area/major, and now what to learn the skills to become a certified Maryland teacher. You should select this program if you do not have enough education classes as part of your undergraduate program to become a certified teacher.

The Master of Education (M.Ed.) program is for those who have a background in education (i.e., will become a certified teacher as an undergraduate student) and want to advance their education career in a specific area. You should pick this program if you are close to completing your certification requirements and want to then advance your knowledge in a specific area of education.

What happens once I’ve been accepted into the B.A./M.A.T. 4+1 program?

Once you are accepted into the 4+1 program, you will receive a follow-up email once your account status has been updated. This follow-up email will provide instructions regarding next steps, advising, etc.

When can I apply for a 4+1 program?

You can apply for a 4+1 program during your sophomore year, with the intention of beginning graduate coursework during the fall semester of your junior year.

How will my bill/tuition be affected through this program?

While you take graduate classes as a 4+1 student, you will receive the undergraduate tuition rate. Once you graduate with your bachelor’s degree and become a full-time graduate student, you will receive the graduate tuition rate for courses.

Can I receive financial aid as a graduate student?  

Yes, you can receive financial aid as a graduate student. In general, once you have officially earned their bachelor’s degree and transition into your graduate degree, you are typically only eligible for federal unsubsidized student loans by submitting a FAFSA.

Who do I contact regarding billing and financial aid?  

For billing questions, please contact graduatebilling@goucher.edu.

For financial aid questions, please contact finaid@goucher.edu.


More questions?

Any questions regarding the B.A./M.A.T. 4+1 program can be directed to Lexi Rudolph, Associate Director for Recruitment and Enrollment Management, at lexi.rudolph@goucher.edu.