College Essay Creative Writing Workshop
A one-week creative writing workshop for high school students who love to write and who are preparing their college applications
At Goucher College's renowned Creative Writing Center, students will:
- craft a draft of their college-application essay using creative writing tools;
- receive feedback from experienced instructors on the essay;
- meet one-on-one with a college admissions officer for application guidance;
- learn different forms of creative writing from author-teachers;
- work on their choice of a creative writing project; and
- collaborate with peers to create a writing anthology.
The College Essay Creative Writing Workshop will be held on Goucher College’s 287-acre campus in Baltimore, MD, just off the Dulaney Valley exit of I-695. Get directions.
Monday, June 24 – Friday, June 28, 2019, 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Award-winning poet Will Schutt will lead the workshop. Additional speakers include:
- Maud Casey, an American novelist and professor of creative writing at The University of Maryland
- Rion Amilcar Scott, American short story writer and award winner
- Leslie Harrison, award-winning writer and Towson University professor
- Don Lee, Korean-American novelist, fiction writer, and creative writing professor
9 - 9:15 a.m.: Arrival and announcements
9:15 - 10:30 a.m.: College essay writing workshop
10:30 - 11:00 a.m.: Mid-morning break
11 - 12:15 p.m.: College essay writing workshop (reading + discussion)
12:30 - 1:00 p.m.: Lunch
1 - 3 p.m.: Author visits; each day, a different published author will come to class to lead students in a generative writing workshop followed by a reading of his or her work. After the reading, the author will give a Q & A and there will be a book raffle.
3 - 3:30 p.m.: Final announcements / parent pick up
$750 (snacks included, lunch not included).
To pay in installments, contact email@example.com.
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, MD 21204