Who We Are
Goucher College is a community of individuals who value learning, self-expression, and diversity. We, the students, staff, and faculty of the Goucher community, support one another even as we recognize our differences. Each community member contributes to and, in turn, is enriched by
- the Goucher community,
- the communities of metropolitan Baltimore,
- our home communities, and
- the communities of the world.
Our Commitments to One Another
While working, studying and traveling on behalf of Goucher, we recognize that we represent the Goucher community, and we will conduct ourselves in a manner that reflects the following commitments:
- Respect. We treat everyone within our community with respect and learn from our differences. When conflicts arise, we work together to come up with mutually beneficial resolutions. We also commit to respect and protect the environment on our campus and in the world.
- Inclusion. We acknowledge and embrace the unique gifts and differences of our community members and seek to include those who may feel excluded.
- Communication. We communicate with the intent to listen and learn from others while placing a premium on maintaining a safe space for those involved. We create opportunities for dialogue so that a variety of voices can be heard.
- Service and Social Justice. We value active participation in bettering the Goucher community as well as those communities beyond the college where we live, work, and serve. In addition, we seek to understand the issues of privilege and oppression that exist in these communities.
- Responsibility. We understand that we are accountable for our own actions, opinions, and beliefs, and for ensuring that our actions are conducive to the safety and well-being of others.
Who We Are Becoming
As members of a dynamic community that is constantly in transition and continuously seeking improvement, we strive to live out the commitments that make us a community and to foster the potential we see in each other.