Goucher Commons Requirements - Foreign Language and Culture: Program Goals
Program Goals (Updated: February 2018)
1. Demonstrate awareness that geographic, historical, economic, religious, and political factors have an impact on cultural perspectives, products and practices, including language use and styles of communication.
2. Demonstrate awareness that situational variables shape communicative interaction (verbal, non-verbal, and paralinguistic) and behavior in important ways. These variables include:
- context and role expectations, including power differentials
- age, gender, social class, religion, ethnicity, and place of residence
3. Demonstrate an awareness of some types of causes (linguistic and non-linguistic) for cultural misunderstanding between members of different cultures.