Policy on Immunizations
Goucher College has developed the following pre-entrance immunization requirements, based on recommendations of the American College Health Association, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Center for Disease Control and the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The student's immunization form is due prior to registration.
STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT VACCINATION INFORMATION TO BE ALLOWED TO MOVE ONTO CAMPUS.
- Immunizations REQUIRED of all undergraduate, Goucher II and graduate students taking nine or more credits, as well as students in the post-baccalaureate premed program:
- Two doses of MMR vaccine (Measles, Mumps, Rubella combined)
*Antibody blood titer tests will be accepted as proof of immunity in lieu of the above vaccinations.
- One Tetanus Diphtheria booster (Td) or TDAP within the past ten years;
- Completed TB Screen.
*IF TB Screen results as HIGH risk: PPD skin test for tuberculosis: required within two years of admission; Quantiferon Gold Blood testing for TB or Chest X-ray (if history of positive PPD)
- Immunizations required of all undergraduate students residing in residence halls
Maryland state law requires every student who resides in the on-campus residence halls to be vaccinated against meningococcal disease or to decline this requirement by submitting a written waiver stating that he or she has received the information and has chosen not to be vaccinated against the disease.
- Immunizations recommended (not required) for all students
- Three doses of Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Two doses of Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Varicella antibody titers (if no history of having chicken pox). If varicella titers are negative, we recommend the varicella vaccine
- Three doses of Human Papillomavirus vaccine
Goucher College allows for medical and religious exemptions only. No philosophical exemptions will be granted for mandatory vaccinations (MMR, TD/TDAP). For those who have a legitimate medical exemption, a health care provider (MD, DO, NP, PA) must complete the medical exemption form. We will not accept medical exemptions from chiropractors or naturopaths. Requests for religious exemption must include a detailed written statement of personal beliefs AND a letter from your religious leader/clergy person.
To request an exemption form or for more information, contact the student health center at (410)337-6050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that students who claim exemption may be excluded from classes and activities, quarantined, or removed from campus in the event of a disease outbreak. Decisions to remove/exclude/quarantine unvaccinated students will be made in collaboration with the Department of Health. Removal from campus or exclusion from class due to unvaccinated status will not warrent a refund of tuition.