Student Complaint & Grievance Procedures

Goucher College makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using policies and procedures outlined by the College.

If the complaint cannot be resolved informally, please see Goucher’s Student Grievance Policy. Other policies and procedures may apply, depending on the nature of your complaint. These include the following:

External Student Complaint Procedures

If your complaint is not resolved internally, you may wish to file a complaint with one of the following agencies:

The Maryland Higher Education Commission

MHEC is the State of Maryland's higher education coordinating board responsible for establishing statewide policies for Maryland public and private colleges and universities and for-profit career schools. MHEC also administers state financial aid programs that affect students on a statewide basis.

Information about how to file a complaint can be found on MHEC’s website.

Associate Director of Career and Workforce Education
Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
FAX: 410-332-0270

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education

The Commission on Higher Education is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education to conduct accreditation and pre-accreditation (candidacy status) activities for institutions of higher education in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including distance education and correspondence education programs offered at those institutions. Click here for information about filing a complaint with MSCHE.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: (267) 284-5000

Consumer Protection

A complaint pertaining to potential violations of consumer protection law is to be submitted to:

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Telephone: 410-528-8662

More information is available at:


A complaint concerning discrimination is to be submitted to:

Office for Civil Rights, Philadelphia Office
U.S. Department of Education
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323
Telephone: 215-656-8541

More information is available at: