It can be easy in college (or as a working professional) to neglect the inner self or the life of the spirit. Busy-ness, homesickness, overwork, familial obligations--the list goes on and on. Fortunately, there are many resources at Goucher to help students, staff, and faculty attend to their inner lives and/or to cope with stress.
Spaces on Campus
- The Chapel: Haebler Memorial Chapel is open during the day, many evenings, and on weekends. The main Chapel is available for prayer, meditation, sitting in silence, contemplation.
- Labyrinth: our outdoor labyrinth is always available for walking meditation or mindfulness.
- Meditation space at ACE: The Academic Center for Excellence (Julia Rogers 2nd floor) has a meditation space available for student use; a sign up sheet is provided.
The staff who work in Religious and Spiritual Life are all available for conversation and support.
- Chaplain Cynthia Terry meets with students all the time, in her office in the basement of the Chapel. Stop by, email her at email@example.com, or call her at 410-337-6048.
- Rabbi Josh Snyder: Director, Goucher Hillel, 410-337-6545 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yona Gorelick: Associate Director, Goucher Hillel, 410-337-6404 or email@example.com
- Kasey Kimball: Staff, Goucher Christian Fellowship, 978.495.2911 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Meditation on campus
- The Meditation Club:
- Meditation at ACE: Weekly meditation
- Yoga Club
- Yoga at ACE: weekly yoga
Student Health and Counseling
Goucher's Office of Student Health and Counseling has many resources for wellness in body and mind. Medical care is available, as well as counseling. In addition, there are complementary medicine offerings, including acupuncture.
Talk to a peer who knows what it means to listen. Trained students are on call nightly, 7 p.m. - 2 a.m., during the semester. Call (443) 632-7799. More information is available at the Peer Listening webpage.
Through a simple search, you can find many online resources for guided meditation (visual and non-visual), learning to meditate and more. Here are a few sites to try. Please share if you find other sites you think would helpful to others in the Goucher Community.