The Goucher Video Application
At Goucher, we understand that the traditional admissions process—while great for many students—does not showcase everyone’s true talents and abilities. We believe access to higher education should be about potential, not just previous achievement. We still accept the Common Application. But we created the Goucher Video App to provide another opportunity for students to show us what makes them unique, why they would flourish at Goucher, and how they will fit into our community of learners.
- Short video (no more than two minutes) that responds to the prompt below.
- Digital Application
- $55 application fee or waiver
- Signed statement of academic integrity
- Two works from your high school years (one of which must be a graded writing assignment)
Work must be submitted by the regular decision (non-binding) deadline
- Application due by February 1
- Notification mails on March 1
- Candidate reply due by May 1
We pride ourselves on the wide array of students who call Goucher home. Our students are scientists, dancers, athletes, activists, global citizens, and civic leaders—often all at once.
Tell us about your combination of talents and what makes you different. Do you think you might change your major multiple times, as our president did?
Let us know how you fit into our community of learners, thinkers, and doers. For your video, we want to know: Why do you see yourself flourishing at Goucher?
- Your video should begin with a short clip of you in front of the camera saying, "Hi, my name is [insert name] from [insert hometown and state].
- After that, what you choose to say and how you choose to say it is up to you. Simple and unvarnished is fine, but you can be creative.
- Videos will be evaluated using the rubric available here. Videos will not be evaluated for production quality, but you must limit your video to no more than two minutes.
We did not include international students in this cycle of the Goucher Video Application as a result of our interpretation of the language in the Code of Federal Regulation Ch. 8 Sec. 214.3(k), which states that students must submit a written application, transcript, and other supporting documents to be issued a Form I-20 for admission to the United States as an international student. At this time, we feel it is in our applicants' best interest to stick with the traditional application process to ensure their success in obtaining a U.S. visa from the consulates abroad through the Department of State. We welcome interested international students to submit a video as a supplement to a traditional application.
Merit Scholarship Consideration:
Students wishing to be considered for a merit scholarship will be asked to submit additional materials.
More About the GVA
Click the images below to hear from President Bowen and members of the Goucher faculty and staff about why we think the Goucher Video App is an important addition to our admissions process.