What staffing is required at a dance sponsored by a club?
- At least two executive board officers and the faculty/staff adviser of that organization must be present to supervise the entire event.
- A public safety officer must also be hired. Please note that there's an extra charge for this. For details, please visit the "Paying Public Safety" page.
What are our responsibilities as the sponsors of the dance?
- Keep decorations away from the sprinklers in rooms.
- Keep music at a reasonable level. If it gets too loud, you'll be asked to turn it down.
- Use only dim house lights or professional DJ lighting at all times.
- Clean up the space immediately after the dance. This includes removing decorations, cleaning up food and beverages, etc.
How late can the dance go?
- All dances must end at 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday mornings and midnight all other nights (other than those held in the Gopher Hole).
Can we use smoke/fog machines at our dance? What about foam dances?
- Sorry, but no.
Can we advertise our dance off campus?
- To advertise off campus for any event, you must get permission from the Office of Public Safety.
- Advertising must be approved by OSE.
- All off-campus guests must be 18 years of age or older.
- Guests must show state-issued photo identification and sign a guest list; guests who are unable to show state-issued photo identification will not be allowed inside.
- If you anticipate having more than 25% of your guests be from off-campus, you must meet with the director of public safety at least two weeks in advance of your event to discuss parking, the possible need of additional security, and gate staffing.
- All off-campus guests must park in the visitors' section of the Dorsey Center parking lot; it is the responsibility of the student organization to check with public safety if you anticipate any parking problems.
PLEASE NOTE: As the organizers, please do your best to keep things under control. If you see any problems, please ask public safety for assistance. College staff have the right to remove any students and/or guests who are acting inappropriately (i.e., fighting, overly intoxicated, violating college policies, etc.). We don't want this to happen, so help us make your event a success!