Academic Coaching Sessions
Our Academic Coaches support students, individually and in groups, on developing and deepening academic life skills. Students may choose to work on the following strategies:
- Defining and articulating what’s going well and what’s not – gaining clarity and focus
- Listening deeply to self and others and communicating effectively
- Threshing out challenges and obstacles and helping with decision-making
- Setting goals – for the semester, academic year and life beyond Goucher
- Stress management through offering contemplative practices
- Support with reading and writing strategies
- Effective time management
- Procrastination prevention
- Organizational skills
- Strategies to improve memory and concentration
- Note- and test-taking strategies
- Interpretation of texts
Click here to request an appointment
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
SI is offered in various courses in both the sciences and the humanities. SI consists of voluntary, small group sessions that are facilitated by an SI leader, a student whom the instructor deems knowledgeable of the course content and who has been trained in learning strategies appropriate to the discipline. The SI leader meets regularly with the instructor and attends the course frequently. In the study groups, students work together to integrate the course content with critical thinking strategies, thus promoting their academic development.
Only students with documented accommodations for extended time on testing may use the ACE Testing Center. If students have a medical or family emergency, please contact the director of ACE for approval.
Click here to view the Testing Center Policy.