Reporting to the Police

If you choose to report to the police and press criminal charges, the college will support you in doing so.

How do I make a criminal report?

  • Call 911.
  • Call the Baltimore County Police Department, 410-887-2214.
  • Call the Baltimore City Police Department, 410-396-2525.
  • Go directly to a police station. The closest is the Baltimore County Police Department at 700 E Joppa Rd, Baltimore. 
  • Call Goucher’s Office of Campus Safety, 410-337-6112, or come to the Office of Campus Safety, and ask for assistance and support in calling the police.

What happens if I report an assault to the police?

  • If you make a criminal report to the police within 120 hours (5 days), the police will ask you to obtain a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE).
  • Although you have 120 hours to receive a SAFE, the greatest amount of evidence can be collected immediately following the assault and prior to showering, changing clothes, brushing teeth, etc. 
  • It is your choice whether to have a SAFE.
  • SAFE exams are available at Mercy Medical Center or Greater Baltimore Medical Center
  • You can have an anonymous/Jane or John Doe SAFE. In that case, the evidence will be held until a later date--how long the evidence is held varies by jurisdiction. This provides you time to decide whether or not you would like to proceed with making a criminal report.
  • Please note that while evidence from your body can be collected and preserved via a SAFE, any other evidence, such as that from the crime scene, may no longer be viable. This may impact the investigation.
  • The police will ask you questions about the assault. For investigative purposes, it is important that you answer all questions honestly and fully.

 View information about Maryland laws and regulations pertaining to sexual crimes.

Will the college know if I make a report to the police?

Please be aware that the criminal reporting process is not confidential. All reports are a matter of public record. Thus, no matter how you make a report to the police, the college may receive information about the assault and have an obligation to take certain actions in response.

If you request that Campus Safety assist you in making a police report, the officer you speak with will immediately contact an on-call professional staff member to support you through this process. Please note that by informing Campus Safety or another professional staff member, you are reporting the incident to the college, which has certain obligations to investigate the incident pursuant to Title IX. Additionally, if you call the police directly and ask that an officer be sent to campus, Campus Safety, and therefore the college, will likely be informed of the incident.

If you would like to minimize the possibility that the college will learn of the assault, we suggest that you reach out to one of the college’s confidential support persons. For off-campus, confidential assistance in learning about your options, call the 24/7 TurnAround Helpline, 443-279-0379.

Other sources that may be helpful:

  • Sexual Assault Legal Institute (assistance with legal issues related to sexual violence) 301-565-2277 or 877-496-SALI
  • Domestic Violence Legal Clinic 410-554-8463
  • Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault, Inc. (referral source but not direct service provider) 410-974-4507
  • TurnAround, designated Rape Crisis and Recovery Center for Baltimore City and County, 24-hour helpline: 443-279-0379 County Office: 410-377-8111 City office: 410-837-7000

The sources above can provide assistance in assuring that the following legal rights are upheld:

  • The right to be treated with dignity, respect, and sensitivity during the criminal justice process
  • The right to be notified of court and parole hearings related to case
  • The right to be present at all court hearings related to case that the defendant has a right to attend
  • The right to be notified of the terms of any plea agreement
  • The right to be heard by the court before the defendant is sentenced and by the parole board regarding release
  • The right to request restitution from the defendant
  • The right to be notified of parole and probation violation