Reporting an Incident

You have options

You have options when it comes to deciding whether and/or how to report an incident of sexual assault or other gender-based misconduct.

If you are unsure

If you are unsure about if you want to report the incident, it is recommended that you talk with a confidential resource. You should know that if you wish to maintain confidentiality, Goucher will be unable to investigate the incident. Go to the Support page for confidential support options. Even if you request confidentiality at first, you have the right to change your mind and file a report with the entities listed below.

Reporting Options

Reporting to the college (disciplinary process) and reporting to the police (criminal process) are two different routes you can take; you can do one, both or neither. 

Reporting to Goucher’s Title IX Office

How to Report

There are multiple ways for an incident report to reach the Title IX office.

  • Reporting online: You may submit an online report. Please be aware that if names and details are omitted, that the college will be limited in its action.
  • In Person: The TIX Office is located in the Alumni House. You can make an appointment (recommended but not required) by emailing
  • Via Faculty/Staff and Campus Safety: With the exception of confidential employees, Goucher faculty and staff are considered Responsible Employees, meaning they will inform the Title IX office about disclosures.

What happens when I report

The Title IX Office will reach out via email to offer you a meeting; you have the right to decline the meeting if you changed your mind. During the meeting, you will have an opportunity to talk about the incident if you would like; please note that you will not be penalized by the college for use of illegal drugs or alcohol related to the incident. Then, the Title IX staff member will explain the options for support, accommodations, and the disciplinary processes, which include informal process or a formal Title IX investigation. You are not required to decide about whether or not you wish to pursue process during the meeting. View the Title IX Process Flow Chart (PDF)


While we typically let you choose your course of action, in certain circumstances, listed below, the college must take action for the safety of the campus community:

  • If there is an imminent danger to someone
  • The college has received a pattern of reports regarding an alleged assailant
  • If a weapon or drugs other that alcohol were used to facilitate an assault

Furthermore, all resources, including confidential ones, are obligated by their profession to report life-threatening situations and incidents of child sexual abuse by a caregiver (e.g.: parent/guardian, camp counselor, coach, etc.) to the appropriate authorities, such as police or the department of social services.

You are welcome to ask questions regarding these requirements to any of the resources listed on this site before reporting an incident.

Reporting to the Police

How to Report

If you choose to report to the police and press criminal charges, the college will support you. To report:

  • Call 911.
  • Call Goucher’s Office of Campus Safety, 410-337-6112, or come to the office (Heubeck Hall, ground floor), and ask for assistance in calling the police.
  • Call the local police department (county 410-887-2214, city 410-396-2525).
  • Go directly to the closest police station. The closest precinct to Goucher is 700 E Joppa Rd, Baltimore (Towson area).

What happens when I report

The police can meet you at the hospital, at their station or Goucher Campus Safety can arrange for the police to meet you at their office; Campus Safety will arrange for an on-call staff member to support you during this meeting. In all cases, the police will ask you questions about the assault. For investigative purposes, it is important that you answer all questions honestly and fully. The police will be able to share with you what next steps will be taken.

If you make a criminal report to the police within 120 hours (5 days), the police will ask you to obtain a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE) to collect evidence; however, it is your choice whether or not to have a SAFE. Alternatively, you can go directly to obtain a SAFE and they will assist you in reporting to the police. See “What to do after a sexual assault” for further information.

We recommend contacting one of the off-campus supports to arrange for an advocate to support you through the criminal process.

Information about Maryland laws and regulations pertaining to sexual crimes can be found at SALI’s website.

NOTE:  The criminal reporting process is not confidential since all reports are a matter of public record. Therefore, the college may receive information about the assault and have an obligation to take certain actions in response. In addition, a report to campus safety does trigger a report to the Title IX Office; however this does not automatically trigger a formal Title IX Investigation.