Return to Campus FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated September 12, 2022

Testing/Health Issues

What supplies should I bring with me for quarantine/isolation?

You are responsible for bringing personal medical supplies with you.

What should someone do when they see students, faculty or staff not following the safety measures?

Violations should be reported using the policy violation report.

How should I report that I or someone else is ill?

If you test positive for COVID-19, you should use the reporting form, which is also on the coronavirus information website. Please self-isolate until you receive further instructions from the Student Health Center. If unsure, please call the Student Health Center at 410-337-6050 or email to request an appointment.

What is the follow-up when a student fills out the Report an Illness Form?

When you complete the Report an Illness Form, the Student Health Center contacts you to discuss the next steps. If you are negative for COVID-19, SHC can discuss any other possible illness.

What is the testing protocol for residential students?

Students who test positive before arriving at campus should contact the Student Health Center and delay their arrival to campus until they've completed their isolation period.

Throughout the semester, Goucher conducts wastewater surveillance testing. In addition, individual students are tested in the Student Health Center when symptomatic or if they are a close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

COVID-19 Testing Plan for Students

How often can I be tested for COVID-19?

In addition to wastewater testing, on-campus rapid testing will be available to any students who are feeling ill. In some cases, if you are exposed to COVID-19, you may be placed in quarantine without being tested. This is because you can test negative after your exposure and then later still go on to develop COVID-19. Additional screening and asymptomatic testing may be required of athletes.

Read more

How frequently are students tested on campus? Are we only requesting testing for students who show symptoms?

We have a strategic plan for testing that involves weekly campus-wide wastewater testing to monitor for an increased presence of the virus on campus. Based on our population data, contact tracing, and symptoms, we will determine when and how often to test students on campus. Our plan calls for testing symptomatic students and contacts of positive cases as needed.

Read more

Will students, staff, or faculty be required to pay for testing?

The Student Health Center sends student testing to local labs, like Labcorp and Quest, and those labs charge student’s insurance for testing. However, wastewater testing is at no cost to students and employees.

What is the timeline for student testing? What is the turnaround for results if a student is determined to be a close contact?

Goucher Student Health Center uses outside labs like Labcorp and Quest for PCR testing. SHC only conducts testing and consultations during business hours. SHC only works with students needing isolation/quarantine after hours.

The SHC works with the local health department on contact response and notifies any students who are listed as a close contact to come in for testing. HR performs the contact response for employees.

The SHC notifies the Associate Provost if a student cannot attend classes so they can provide accommodations.

How does Goucher define “close contact”?

Goucher follows the CDC guidance on close contact.

Do I need to quarantine if I have been exposed to another individual that tested positive for COVID-19?

Goucher follows CDC guidance on quarantine.

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Goucher follows the CDC guidance on isolation. If a student lives alone in a room with a private bathroom, they are allowed to isolate-in-place in their room. They are moved to the College's isolation housing if they have a roommate or do not have a private bathroom. If both roommates test positive and have a private bathroom, the students may isolate-in-place together

Following CDC guidelines, when do students need to quarantine?

Students should quarantine if they have been in close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) with someone who has COVID-19, unless they have been fully vaccinated. People who are fully vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms.

What will the procedures be for students who need to be quarantined?

Goucher College will use the key public health tools known as isolation and quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19 among the campus community. Because there is typically little time to prepare for isolation or quarantine when instructed to do so, Goucher College has developed this planning guide to help students prepare to isolate or quarantine. This guide is for students who live on campus as well as students who live off-campus. For more information, see the Isolation and Quarantine Planning Guide (PDF).

If a student tests positive for COVID-19, when can they stop isolating?

We follow CDC guidelines: 10 days after the positive test if they are asymptomatic OR 10 days after onset of symptoms if they are symptomatic. If they have symptoms, they must be fever-free for 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing medication. So, if they have a fever on the 10th day, they will not be allowed to leave isolation until 24 hours after that breaks.

What is the contact tracing procedure?

Contact tracing will be done with the Student Health Center (SHC) after learning of a student’s positive status:

  • SHC will conduct a meeting with the affected student to identify the people they were in contact while infected
  • SHC will identify student´s schedule
  • SHC will reach out to all students enrolled in the class and copy the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies (APUS)
  • APUS will send an informal notification to faculty letting them know that there has been exposure in their class. All students will be required to obtain a COVID test, the timing of which will depend on their vaccination status. If they are vaccinated, they may continue to come to class while awaiting their test results, unless they are instructed otherwise by the SHC. APUS will notify faculty in the event of these cases. It will be at the faculty member´s discretion to grant any requests for excused absences or online instruction stemming from this situation and to determine the specific nature of these reasonable instructional adaptations
  • SHC will notify the Office of Human Resources (HR) about exposed faculty/staff

Do we have a backup plan if there is a rise in cases? Which guidelines will we follow if there is another national or statewide call for closure and shelter in place?

We will be seeking input from our state and local health department on what number of cases would constitute what level of restrictive action (up to and including closure of the campus). While we await that input, we are working on developing a system to communicate risk, in real time, that is reflective of the data we are receiving from our wastewater and RT-PCR testing.

How can students best equip themselves to support their ongoing mental health after returning to campus?

Recent events have created an excessive load of stress and emotional strain for much of the country with disparate impact on Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. While Goucher strives to create a positive living and learning community this spring, things will definitely look and feel different. There are some skills that may help navigate the changes and ongoing stress and strain of the spring semester:

  • Willingness to reach out and seek support from various sources when needed
  • Tolerance for change to the environment
  • Creative problem-solving and flexibility
  • Initiative to maintain social connections
  • Tolerance to spending time alone
  • Adaptive self-care plan that supports emotional and physical wellness

Over the summer, we encourage student to take advantage of the EverFi training module on Mental Well-Being for Students shared with students via email in Spring 2020.

Another timely resources to bolster your emotional wellness is a free course offered by the American Red Cross – Psychological First Aid: Supporting Yourself and Others During COVID-19

What is the plan to support students’ emotional health and wellbeing?

We understand that emotional health and wellbeing are central to the ongoing academic success of our students. We will continue to leverage our JED Campus framework to ensure emotional wellness needs of our students are addressed and integrated throughout the college experience this spring. To this end, faculty, staff, and student leaders are trained in early warning signs, effective conversations, and access to resources to support students experiencing a strain to their emotional wellness. Creative programming and outreach efforts will continue through various student-facing offices including Student Engagement, Wellness, and the Student Counseling Center. The Student Counseling Center will continue providing mental health services via teletherapy to students. Student Support & Outreach is also available to provide students with the education, tools, and support needed to be successful.


What do I do if I'm exposed to Covid-19?

Following CDC guidelines, you do not need to quarantine if you are up to date on vaccinations, unless you develop symptoms. If you develop symptoms, immediately contact

What do I do if I test positive for Covid-19?

If you test positive for covid, you must: (1) Indicate your status in the Report an Illness website and (2) Notify your professor and advisor and discuss the attendance policy outlined in the syllabus and how to keep up with classwork. Please read the Quarantine and Isolation (PDF) policy.

Until when may I change my classes to P/NP or withdraw from them?

You may change your class to Pass/NoPass or Withdraw from your class before week 10. Check the Important Dates for Students calendar for exact dates, and make sure of any financial aid implications. You should also discuss any schedule changes with your advisor. You may petition after the deadline only if you have extenuating circumstances. See petition policy (PDF) for details.

Can I take my classes online in fall 2022?

Goucher College is a residential college. No online undergraduate courses will be offered during the fall and spring semesters. Online undergraduate courses may be offered in J-terms (January, June and July).

How can I get my academic accommodations for the semester?

If you have a disability that requires accommodations or temporary impairment (conditions include but are not limited to mental health, attention-related, learning, vision, hearing, physical or health impacts), please visit the Accommodations and Services section on the Accessibility Services website to make a request and submit documentation. If you are a returning student and have already established accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS), please ensure that you have submitted a “semester request” through your Accommodate account in order to have your accommodation letter sent to your professors. Please address general inquiries to

Student Affairs/Residence Life

What housing is used for isolation & quarantine?

For the most part, students can quarantine in their rooms. If a student lives alone in a room with a private bathroom, they are allowed to isolate-in-place in their room. They are moved to the College's isolation housing if they have a roommate or do not have a private bathroom. If both roommates test positive and have a private bathroom, the students may isolate-in-place together

What are my meal plan options?

Any student who resides on campus is required to have a campus meal plan. Meals will be available for delivery to students who are in quarantine or isolation so that meals are not lost during that time.

Will guests be allowed to visit me? What if they are students?

From Thursday, August 26 – Friday, September 10, 2021, residential students will not be allowed be permitted to have guests or friends within the halls. In rare cases special approval can be given by the Director of Residential Life, Dean of Students or Vice President of Student Affairs. During this time, residential students can visit each other within their own halls but not between halls.

What if I want to live with or near my friends?

The Office of Residential Life loves a good puzzle. We recognize that living close to friends is an important part of the college experience and even more so right now as we navigate these challenging times. As long as there is some flexibility on location, the Office of Residential Life can generally accommodate this request... just make sure you email them so they know who you’d like to live near!

Am I allowed to stay on campus if I get COVID?

Residential COVID-positive students are moved to an isolation room on campus for the duration of their isolation period, if the student doesn’t meet the above criteria to isolate-in-place. If the students live nearby and would prefer to isolate themselves at home or off campus, they may do so if they do not pose a risk to those they will be living with (for example, if your family lives nearby and you have your own bathroom and bedroom in their home that you can stay in).

My friends are using COVID Apps at their school, do we have one?

Yes. Right now Goucher is testing out an app called Campus Clear which will be used by all faculty, staff, & students needing to access campus or living on campus. This simple questionnaire will be sent daily and will either give a green “all clear” or follow up with next steps should you be feeling unwell. It will be of great importance for students to use this app so that we can keep campus as healthy as possible and so that the health center and residential life can follow-up directly with students who feel unwell.

Will Housing or Facilities Management staff enter my room at any point? Will I know?

Like in any other year, there might be a time when residential life or FMS will need to enter a room. As much as possible, students will have a heads up and anyone who enters a room will have a face covering. FMS and residential life staff want to stay as safe as possible just like you, so entering a room will only happen when absolutely necessary... or if you put in a work request.

What if I change my mind about wanting to live on campus?

Students can receive a full room refund through the first week of classes and a partial refund the second week. That said, if you arrive to campus and realize it is not the right fit for the semester you still have time to rescind housing for a full refund.


The following answers reflect the current plan for Athletics, which is subject to change, based on local and state guidelines and risk levels associated with COVID-19.

Will athletes be required to wear face coverings during practice and matches?

No. Initially athletes will be required to remain physically distant at all times. As restrictions are lifted, contact practices and competitions may resume without face coverings.

How will the college handle visiting teams? Will they be required to be masked?

Visitors will be required to be screened by their own Sports Medicine staffs prior to traveling to Goucher. Upon arrival, masks will be required until visitors begin their warm-ups and competitions.

Will the athletes be required to be tested more frequently?

Student-athletes will be subject to daily temperature checks and symptom tracking prior to participating in any Athletics activities.

Will students who are exercising be required to wear a face covering?

This policy has not been finalized yet. We would ask that all members of our community exercise responsibly, alone, or in socially distant groups.

Will students be able to attend athletic events? If so, what measures will be taken? Will we need to reserve tickets in advance?

We have not determined a policy for spectators at this point.


How will the Library operate in the Fall?

The Library will be open to Goucher College students, faculty, and staff. Everyone in the Library is expected to wear face coverings and maintain social distancing, following campus Face Covering & Physical Distancing guidelines.

Will library materials be available?

Library materials will be available to circulate and upon an item's return it will be cleaned or quarantined depending on material type. Study spaces will be available but in limited amounts following the College's social distance protocols. Reserves that cannot be made available electronically will circulate but will have quarantine periods before they are able to circulate again.

Will research help be available?

Research help will be available through chat, text, and email. Appointments must be made for any in-person research consultations through our online request form.

Will Library teaching requests be available?

Librarian teaching requests can be submitted online or via email to

Will printers be available to use?

Printing will be available in the Learning Commons, the 4th floor of the library, and on the 3rd floor of the Athenaeum directly across from the Library.

Will I be able to visit Special Collections and Archives?

Special Collections & Archives will be open by appointment only.

Financial Aid/Registrar

Will tuition and fees differ depending on modality?

Tuition and fee costs will remain the same. Courses delivered remotely will be taught by Goucher’s faculty and will be applied toward your degree. As always, class sizes will be small, allowing for faculty to get to know you and interact with you. The college has incurred significant costs in order to increase our ability to deliver quality instruction remotely.

What if my payment plan monthly amounts included the balance from room and board charges?

You may change your monthly amount with this form.

If you need to recalculate the amount, use the UG Worksheet.

If I was awarded federal work-study (FWS), will I have the opportunity to work?

Jobs for the fall semester will be posted online. Visit for more details.

Is health insurance still required?

Yes, all full-time undergraduate students must have health insurance. Goucher College will automatically charge students for Goucher's health insurance (unless the student waives it). You may waive this coverage and have the charge removed if you have comparable coverage. Visit for more details.

What is the difference between a deferral and a leave of absence (LOA)?

Taking a leave of absence is an option for currently enrolled students only and is managed by the Registrar’s Office. Deferring enrollment is an option for new incoming spring students.

How can I defer?

To defer, you must send an email to . You may defer admission for no more than two consecutive semesters.

During the deferral period, you may take no more than 12 college credits. Students who take more than 12 college credits will be required to reapply as a transfer student.

What happens to my aid if I defer?

Since need-based financial aid is determined and packaged on a yearly basis, you will need to resubmit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for need-based financial aid. The FAFSA for the following year opens on October 1.

If you received a merit scholarship, it will be continued providing so long as you take no more than 12 credits at another institution during their deferral period. Scholarship recipients who complete more than 12 college credits during the deferral period may forfeit the scholarship. ​

What happens to my aid if I take a leave of absence (LOA)?

Institutional aid is limited to eight semesters. The semester(s) when you are on a LOA do not count toward the eight-semester limit. Students receiving need-based aid will need to reapply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Note, if you have previously borrowed through the student loan programs, you will enter repayment after a six-month grace period. If you do enter repayment, the payment can once again be deferred once you reenroll on at least a half-time basis.

Please refer to our Library FAQ for additional information on accessing library resources now.

For Faculty & Staff

Are faculty and staff going to be tested before coming to campus?

Per the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all staff and faculty must be vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious exemption prior to coming to campus. Employees with an approved exemption may be subject to additional screening. Wastewater testing will continue at no cost to employees.

I’m an employee and need to get tested. Can I use the Student Health Center?

Employees may not use the Student Health Center. Employees must test off-campus at a facility of their choice (e.g., pharmacy, doctor’s office, urgent care center) and rapid test results are acceptable.

How can employees best equip themselves to support their ongoing mental health after returning to campus?

The Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) through BHS provides 24/7 free, confidential, in-the moment-support to employees and their household members to help with personal or professional problems. Counseling services, community discounts, financial and legal consultation services, and childcare and eldercare referrals are also available. Take advantage of the numerous athletic and fitness opportunities as well, including Goucher’s walking trails.

What should faculty/staff tell a student to do if they share that they have symptoms consistent with COVID-19?

If a student has symptoms consistent with COVID-19, they should call or email the Student Health Center (410-337-6050/

What should faculty/staff tell a student who shares that they have been exposed to or diagnosed with COVID-19?

If a student has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, they should contact the Student Health Center (410-337-6050/ If they have tested positive for COVID-19, they should use the COVID reporting form.

Will faculty be informed about a student who tests positive to COVID-19?

If a student is positive, the Student Health Center (SHC) will inform the associate provost for undergraduate studies, who will then inform the faculty member that the student will not be able to attend class in person. This notification will not specify why the student may not be able to attend class as medical information is confidential.

How should faculty accommodate students who are not officially quarantining but who are waiting for test results and are asymptomatic? 

Goucher College follows current CDC guidance regarding quarantine and isolation.

How should faculty accommodate students who may be not officially quarantining but who have symptoms associated with COVID?

The process for requesting a temporary absence from class due to testing positive for COVID-19 or Monkeypox is as follows:

  1. If a student experiences any symptoms, they should consult the Student Health Center (SHC).

  2. If a student tests positive, they should immediately use the reporting form.

  3. The SHC will follow up with the student and tell the associate provost for undergraduate studies the dates the student will be absent.

  4. When the associate provost for undergraduate studies receives notification from SHC, they will inform the student´s faculty and advisor via email (e.g., [name of student] will not be able to attend your [xxx] class until [date]. [name of student] will get in touch with you in a timely manner to inquire about how to keep up with classwork.).The subject of the email will be the name of the student.

  5. All faculty members have attendance policies in place that should be enforced. Faculty members will work with each student who has been approved for a short-term health absence as indicated in the Quarantine and Isolation Policy to keep up with coursework through reasonable instructional adaptations. Faculty members will abide by APC guidelines for online instruction, which is that the default expectation in our residential campus is that classes are in-person. Students with an approved long-term health absence may petition the associate provost to drop/withdraw from a course after the deadline or may apply to the dean of students for a leave.

Is Goucher College consulting with an epidemiologist?

There will be various interpretations of the CDC guidelines including that one epidemiologist may not agree with another. We are not contracted with a specific epidemiologist, but our team is constantly conversing with local colleagues, the health department, and participating in webinars about best practices based on CDC guidelines that include epidemiologists. It is also important for any faculty and staff member to know that they are always welcome and encouraged to be tested when they want.

Don't see an answer to your question? Ask us by emailing