Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council
The mission of the Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is to ensure Goucher College is supporting its mission to become an anti-racist institution by building on the college’s commitment to respect, inclusion, service, social justice, and responsibility. Furthermore, the council will work to promote dialogue and a healthy campus climate. This council will report directly to the president.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council was created as a result of the President’s Council for Racial Equity (PCRE) report, finalized in 2019 after research began in 2018 through the recommendation of the Baltimore Racial Justice Alliance in 2015.
Given the impact that Goucher’s racial climate has on student and employee retention and satisfaction as well as alumnae/i participation with the college, the PCRE emphasizes a goal of improving this climate continuously through regular assessments and structural and interpersonal improvements.
When the leadership of the PCRE was established in 2018, they were charged by the college’s president to examine three initial questions:
- What do we need to fix us as an institution to achieve racial equity?
- What can we do to improve the student experience when it comes to race?
- What can we do to improve the staff and faculty experience when it comes to race? (PCRE, 2019)
From those questions, three subcommittees were established to conduct research and propose recommendations to the president.
In the fall 2020, the president appointed and convened a new Council of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Dr. Isabel Moreno-López, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies
Juan Hernandez, Associate Dean of Students for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion & Title IX
Shama Akhtar, Director of Institutional Effectiveness
Lindy Bobbitt, Director of Residential Life
Eric Camodeca, Head Track & Field/Cross Country Coach
Yuchen Ding, Class of 2022
Molly Englund, Writer & Content Manager
Lisa Hill, Senior Associate Director of Admissions
Lindsay Johnson, France-Merrick Director of Community Based Learning
Dr. Tamsin Kimoto, Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Rachel Kline, Class of 2022
Kededria Lewis, Class of 2023
Charles McLean, Associate Director of FMS for Custodial Staff
Lara Nicolson, Human Resources Generalist
Lexi Rudolph, Associate Director for Recruitment and Enrollment Management
Iquail Shaheed, Assistant Professor, Center for Music, Dance, and Theater
Bersabe Shuman-Fletcher, Class of '20-22, Hispanic Organization for Learning & Awareness (HOLA!)
Leah Soyer, Class of '20-22, Co-President, Goucher Hillel
Danae Tsimpikaki, Class of '20-22, Co-President, Goucher International Students Association
Megan Wallace, Advancement Services Manager
- Develop strategies to strengthen faculty, staff, and student support and retentionso as to promote an inclusive environment,
- Lead the campus in the development of a strategic plan that focuses on diversity, equity, access and inclusion
- Create an environment that encourages challenging the status quo around issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Advise the president on key issues pertaining to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion
- Build the case for diversity and inclusion (D&I) and share knowledge on D&I successes and impact
- Identify D&I barriers that impact employee recruitment, retention, advancement, training, and key assignments
- Champion D&I and promote the college as an employer of choice for faculty and staff of color
- Offer significant support to the student-led organizations for the heritage months and any additional cultural programming (e.g., Hispanic Heritage Month, LGBTQ+ Month, Native American Heritage Month, MLK Jr. Day, Black History Month, and Women’s History Month)
DEI Council Digital Suggestion Box
Use this form to submit suggestions and feedback regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion at Goucher College. We are always interested in hearing comments and suggestions to better meet Goucher College´s DEI mission. All submissions will be reviewed by the DEI Council during our monthly meeting. The chairs of the DEI Council should receive submissions (Isabel Moreno-Lopez and Juan Hernandez). If you would like to be contacted, please let us know and we will get back to you. If you prefer to remain anonymous, simply leave your contact information blank.
Note: This form is not to be used to submit complaints or grievances. For any bias incident reporting, please visit our Campus Climate Education Team (CCET) website. You may also wish to visit our Student Complaint & Grievance Procedures.