Plans for Moving Forward
Baltimore Racial Justice Action (BRJA) plans to spend the next few months working with the Goucher community in these areas:
- Schedule training that has been specifically requested or identified as needed within the campus community.
- Customize workshops based on expressed needs and specific audiences.
- Partner with the Office of Community-Based Learning to ensure racial equity in community-based programs and volunteer opportunities in the Greater Baltimore area.
- Work with Human Resources, the provost, and department chairs regarding equitable hiring and retention practices.
- Continue to connect the college with potential partners and/or resources for achieving equity.
- Continue to assist the Center for Race, Equity, and Identity as requested.
Staff members in Student Affairs also will be facilitating-in collaboration with students, faculty, and other staff-a discussion of our Community Principles, to assess their continued relevance to our community and our commitment to racial equity, and to determine whether these principles should be reconsidered and/or reaffirmed. Our principles should be an authentic reflection of the ideals our community embraces, and to which it aspires.
The president will be scheduling and hosting monthly community dinners for students during the spring semester to focus upon issues and progress pertaining to racial justice and equity at the college. These dinners will be announced via email, and students may sign up in advance on a first-come, first-served basis. Students will receive information about the first dinner by mid-January.