Bakin' Whoopie Cake Designs
The art of making sugar flowers requires patience, hand skills, and an eye for detail. But it doesn’t have to be intimidating! Learn a few basic cake decorating techniques, including how to create sugar flowers that can be used to garnish a beautiful display cake, and how to stage the finished products for their “glamour shots.”
Participants will learn:
- How to make edible “clay"
- How to make realistic looking sugar flowers
- How to set up a simple photo booth for product photography
- Technique demonstration
- Informal Q&A while decorating display cake
- Photo shoot
Suggested Supplementary Materials
- Cake Wars: Willy Wonka episode (Season 2 Episode 10)
- Cake Hunters: “A Cake for Everyman” (Episode 107)
- Book: Modern Sugar Flowers by Jacqueline Butler
About the Presenter
Elliot Azzam has been baking and designing custom cakes since the 1990s. Formerly Lead Cake Designer at La Cakerie Towson, she has won competitions on both the Food Network’s “Cake Wars” and the Cooking Channel’s “Cake Hunters”, as well as contributed to La Cakerie winning “Best In Baltimore” honors from Baltimore Magazine for 3 years in a row. She now owns a boutique custom cake company, Bakin’ Whoopie, designing and delivering show-stopping baked goods for weddings, birthdays, and corporate events.