Advising is a two-way responsibility, a collaboration between the student and the academic advisor. It is imperative to have conversations and to keep each other informed.
What are your responsibilities as an advisee?
- Know how to contact your advisor and prepare for and attend advising meetings
- Select courses based on knowledge of interests, strengths, and requirements and be able to justify choices
- Know what services are available for support at the college and utilize the resources that are recommended to you by your advisor
- Become an active and engaged learner and know what it takes to be a successful student
- Know how to be a member of the Goucher community
What are the responsibilities of the advisor (throughout your college years)?
- Assist in formulating an academic plan
- Explain Goucher Commons, major, and other curricular requirements
- Meet and discuss the student’s academic interests on a regular basis
- Recommend opportunities for personal and academic growth
- Aid student in making connections and making informed decisions at Goucher
- Interpret institutional procedures
- Refer students to specific campus or community resources that help with unique needs
- Encourage students to meet with professors, or refer to appropriate academic resources on campus
- Help identify activities and programs on campus that reflect student’s interest