Feed your brain!
Tips and Hints for Eating Healthy:
- Eat a balanced breakfast to help fuel you for the day (incorporate protein, whole grains and fruit)
- Avoid eating after dark (especially carbs, caffeine and salty food)
- Eat more calories earlier in the day
- Junk food impairs cognitive function and increases risk of neurological dysfunction
- Caffeine increases anxiety, masks how tired you might really be, decreases your emotional controls, and inhibits sleep six to eight hours before you need to sleep
- Eating too much sugar temporarily suppresses your immune system, so when stress has you craving something sweet, opt for a piece of fruit!
- Veggies give your immune system the vitamins it needs to stop infections
- Head to the mongolian grill for lots of yummy veggies! And for added benefit, add some shrimp - the zinc helps keep the cold virus from replicating well, giving your immune system a better chance to fight it quickly