Welcome, First-Generation Gophers!
What is the mission of First@Goucher?
First@Goucher works with various members of the Goucher community towards the academic and social success of our first-generation students through:
- Discussions on academic expectations and realities before the beginning of the regular school year;
- Personalized overview of the campus, its resources, and its support opportunities;
- Facilitation of networking and mentoring relationships with peers, professors, and administrators; and
- Fostering community ties and relationships.
How Many First-Generation Students Attend Goucher?
Maryland Scholars Program
The Maryland Scholars Program is designed to make a Goucher education accessible to first-generation Maryland residents from underserved socio-economic communities. As a Maryland Scholar, you will benefit from extensive academic and financial support during your four years at Goucher, as well as special programming to enhance your academic and social opportunities:
- Scholars will participate in a residential pre-orientation programs with daily workshops, academic preparations, and cultural and social activities.
- During the academic year, scholars will engage in skill-building workshops and mentoring sessions to ensure your continued successful transition.
- Scholars will also take part in social and experiential learning opportunities, such as trips and retreats, to encourage and contribute to their achievements.
Did you know that Goucher College has village of dorms dedicated to first-year students? Get to know each other and build long-lasting friendships. Learn more about Goucher's First-Year Village.