Goucher families, welcome to the Career Education Office! We are eager to work with your students in every step of their career journey- from selecting a major to finding an internship or full time job. We hope that the resources on this page will help answer your questions about how our office works with students. Below, we also offer some ways you can help your student, as well as other Goucher students, as they launch their careers. If you have questions about other aspects of the College, please visit Goucher's parent resource page.
How the CEO Supports Student Development
Trying to choose a major and/or career can be a confusing and scary process for students. One of the best ways we have found for students to manage these concerns is by talking with the CEO staff to gain guidance on their options.
The CEO offers a variety of ways for students to interact with our office.
- Advising sessions: Through individual appointments, drop-in hours, and resume advising hours, students can find multiple ways to meet in-person with a member of the CEO staff. Students can schedule an appointment with a career counselor through their Handshake account.
- Events: The CEO sponsors a range of events throughout the academic year. From our annual Business Etiquette Dinner to networking lunches and educational seminars, the CEO offers an engaging array of interactive activities for students.
- Job and internships announcements: Through Handshake, an online database of job and internships announcements, Goucher students are able to search for employment opportunities in their areas of interest.
- Student employment: For students interested in on or off campus employment, the CEO offers resources, advising, job listings, and events to assist students in gaining employment.
- Document Library: The CEO's online Document Library offers a wide range of resources students can use in their research and career exploration.
- Social networking: We also maintain active profiles and content through LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. Our Facebook & Instagram pages relay information regarding upcoming events, important deadlines, and various jobs and internships that are posted through our office.
Listed below are the five primary areas in which we advise Goucher students. Please feel free to click on any of these links to get more information- both in terms of CEO services and policies as well as various online resources for students.
- Major & Career Exploration
- Student Employment
- Full Time Employment
- Graduate & Professional School
Ways to Support Your Student
We value the important role that parents play in the career education of their students. The encouragement that you offer is so important at this critical junction in your student's life. Below are some suggested ways that you can help your student throughout the career exploration process.
- be open to their ideas and interests
- ask good questions and listen carefully to their thoughts
- support their pursuit of their interests and passions- even if they're different from your own
- reflect back to your son or daughter what you hear them say and help them to clarify their priorities
- encourage your student to start the career exploration process early in their college years so they have a chance to explore different options
- share what you observe to be the unique talents and abilities of your daughter or son
- encourage your student to take advantage of the resources available at the CEO
- encourage your student to talk to people working in fields that interest them
- refer your student to anyone you might know (colleagues, neighbors, family, friends) who can help them in their exploration
- urge your student to build and maintain professional relationships with faculty, staff members, supervisors (in any job), and others they meet
Please note that the Career Education Office adheres to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) Regulations. Due to these regulations we are unable to discuss information about your student with you unless they have given permission. For more information about FERPA please visit the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) page.
Supporting the CEO
In addition to the role you play in your individual student's journey, we value the impact that parents can have on other Goucher students and our community. Below are three ways that you can help support the important work that we do.
- Consider offering internships or full-time jobs to Goucher students at your place
If you work at an organization that hires interns or would consider hiring interns in the future, please contact us. We would be happy to talk with you about our internship program and to share internship postings with Goucher students. In addition, if you are aware of full-time job opportunities that might be well-suited to a Goucher graduate, please forward those job descriptions to our staff. You can reach us at 410-337-6191 or email@example.com.
The Career Education Office (CEO) at Goucher College abides by the principles set forth by NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers) and expects that employers who use the Center's services will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, sex, age, disability, or genetic information. All employment listings on the CEO platform are posted at the sole discretion of the Career Education Office.
The CEO is not responsible for the content of any linked site; the CEO provides these links only as a convenience and assumes no liability for acts or omissions by third parties or for any material supplied by them. Goucher is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to research the integrity and safety of the organizations to which they are applying. Students are advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization and reach out to the CEO if they have concerns or questions.