Sciences, Health, Environment, & Research (SHER)
Sciences, Health, Environment & Research
- Do you enjoy gathering and evaluating scientific evidence?
- Do you have an interest in working in the life sciences with people or other organisms?
- Do you want to provide advice on proper health or environmental standards and regulations?
- Do you want to use scientific and research skills to overcome the challenges of the future?
- Do you want to solve a problem or design new products using science?
If you answered yes to any of these questions...
CONSIDER JOINING SHER!
The SHER community consists of people who are interested in or work in the science, health, environment, and research industries. Find your professional “home” in SHER to explore industry-specific opportunities and connect with people who share your career interests.
Career interests include (but are not limited to) exploring and understanding the world by conducting and analyzing scientific research, providing health care services, consulting with companies or governmental agencies to protect the environment, and shaping scientific advancements.
Essential Skills in SHER
- Data analysis & numerical skills
- Ability to understand and apply scientific rules and methods
- Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Maintaining accurate laboratory records and data
- Knowledge and prediction of physical properties and laws
- Proficiency with analytical or scientific software
- Desire to collaborate on research activities
- Collection, synthesis, analysis, and reporting of scientific or health data
Explore Career Paths in SHER
Goucher Student Organizations
- Biology & Chemistry Club
- Chemistry Club
- Mathematics & Computer Science Club (MaCS)
- Physics and Astronomy Club
- Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
*This is not meant to be a comprehensive list and only includes some of the many professional associations in each industry.
Professional associations unite people in the same profession/occupation. They provide opportunities for members to engage in professional development and advance in their careers. Benefits include networking with other professionals, access to conferences/workshops, and trainings/certifications within the field.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Image associated with "Coffee Chat with Megan Heimann '11 - SHER (Sciences, Health, Environment & Research) Career Community at Van Meter Hall"September 27, 2019
Drop in at the Hub for a casual morning conversation over hot coffee and donuts with Goucher alumna Megan Heimann '11, whose career aligns with the SHER Community (Sciences,...
- Image associated with "Coffee Chat with Sam Glickstein '12- SHER (Sciences, Health, Environment & Research) Career Community at Van Meter Hall"November 8, 2019
Drop in at the Hub for a casual morning conversation over hot coffee and donuts with Goucher alumnus Sam Glickstein '12, whose career aligns with the SHER Community (Sciences,...