Designed by Moore and Hutchins
Completed 1950

Thormann International Center 1989

Froelicher Hall was the third dormitory built on the new Towson campus. Construction began in the summer of 1949, and with its completion in the fall of 1950, all residential students now lived on the Towson campus. Due to President Kraushaar's goal to house all the students in Towson, Froelicher Hall was built rapidly and with great economy.  The least expensive of all building projects at that time, Froelicher lacked some of the amenities afforded the other buildings. Also designed by Moore and Hutchins, construction costs totaled 820,530 dollars. The design incorporated the same palette as existing campus buildings; however, the Butler stone, already recognized as a defining feature of the campus by 1950, was only used on the end walls. The sides were left as painted slag block and not covered over as the other buildings had been, which was done purely for economical reasons.  Also, unlike Mary Fisher and Heubeck Halls which consisted of a central body with four attached wings, Froelicher is four independent structures connected by covered walkways forming a courtyard, resembling a pinwheel when viewed from above.

The center portion, today Thormann International Center, and Alcock House of Froelicher Hall, ca. 1950

Three of the structures, Alcock, Gallagher, and Tuttle Houses, are residential spaces. When it was built, Froelicher consisted of 99 double rooms and only 2 single rooms. This was greatly opposed by the Faculty Planning Committee who felt that double rooms were not adequate for learning and living at college. In the end, economics and the desire to house everyone at Towson regardless of the room setup, won. Furthermore, the three houses did not have common rooms, a feature that was greatly opposed by the Faculty Planning Committee, and ultimately due to the Committee's dissatisfaction, common rooms were formed in Gallagher and Alcock Houses by combining two rooms.  Unlike the commons rooms in the other residence halls on campus, they were without cooking amenities until renovations in 2006. The fourth structure was the public space for the residence hall, including a public reception room, a student lounge, two guest parlors, a dining facility, and recreation room.

The cafeteria in Froelicher Hall, 1950

In 1989, the common space building in Froelicher was remodeled into academic space.  Due to the efforts of the Academic Computing Office and the Department of Modern Languages, that space was turned into the Wolfgang Thormann International Technology and Media Center. Although other departments use Thormann, it is predominately used by the Modern Languages Department.

Currently Includes:
Alcock House
Gallagher House           student housing
Tuttle House

DeVries Courtyard
Wolfgang E. Thormann International Center including:
            Classrooms
            Faculty Offices
            Academic Center for Excellence (ACE)
            Modern Language Department

Honors:
Hans and Frances Froelicher
John Alcock
Katharine Jean Gallagher
Charlotte Tuttle Hampton
Wolfgang E. Thormann
Donald DeVries