The Goucher College Library and The Friends of the Goucher College Library sponsor an annual research prize competition for outstanding research by Goucher students using library resources. The $250 prizes were first offered in 2004, in honor of Julia Rogers’ 150th birthday. If you have produced work of which you are especially proud, please consider entering. Winning entries from previous years can be viewed here.
Prizes are awarded in the following categories:
The Margaret Guccione Prize (honoring the memory of a beloved library colleague)
Submission information for the 2014-2015 prize will be posted in December 2014.
Guidelines for submission:
To submit your project as a candidate for the Julia Rogers Research Prize, you must provide the following:
- A cover sheet with your name, the title of the paper, and the name of the nominating professor.
- The paper itself:
- 5 or more pages
- Written for a course taken in the calendar year 2013
- Includes a bibliography of an appropriate length for the discipline, written in a standard bibliographic format (MLA, APA, etc.)
- Please remove your name and your professor's name from the body of the paper and bibliography
- Entire graduate theses will not be accepted - please only submit a chapter completed within the calendar year 2013.
- An essay of 250-300 words describing the research strategy, how library resources helped focus and direct the research, and what you learned about the research process.
A letter of recommendation from the faculty member for whose course the paper was written. The letter must include a brief statement addressing the characteristics of the paper that distinguish it as an example of outstanding student scholarship and writing.
Submission Form for Students-
To submit your paper with bibliography, research strategy essay, and cover sheet, include them all in the same file. Please remember to remove your name and your professor's name from the body of your paper and bibliography. Submission links will be posted in December 2014.
Submission Form for Faculty-
To submit the recommendation form online, select the "Faculty" link and leave the first dropdown set to "Faculty". Submission links will be posted in December 2014.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.