Julia Rogers Research Prizes - accepting submissions!
Release date: February 17, 2017
The Goucher College Library and The Friends of the Goucher College Library sponsor an annual research prize competition for outstanding research by Goucher students using library resources. The $250 prizes were first offered in 2004, in honor of Julia Rogers' 150th birthday. If you have produced work of which you are especially proud, please consider entering. Winning entries from previous years can be viewed here.
Prizes are awarded in the following categories:
- The Margaret Guccione Prize (honoring the memory of a beloved library colleague)
For more information, view the Julia Rogers Research Prize page.
Submissions are due by March 24, 2017 by 5pm. You can apply here.
Guidelines for submission:
To submit your project as a candidate for the Julia Rogers Research Prize, you must provide the following:
- A cover sheet with your name, the title of the paper, and the name of the nominating professor.
- The paper itself:
- 5 or more pages
- Written for a course taken in the calendar year 2016
- Includes a bibliography of an appropriate length for the discipline, written in a standard bibliographic format (MLA, APA, etc.)
- Please remove your name and your professor's name from the body of the paper and bibliography
- Entire graduate theses will not be accepted - please only submit a chapter completed within the calendar year 2016
- An essay of 250-300 words describing the research strategy, how library resources helped focus and direct the research, and what you learned about the research process.
- A letter of recommendation from the faculty member for whose course the paper was written. The letter must include a brief statement addressing the characteristics of the paper that distinguish it as an example of outstanding student scholarship and writing.