All incoming students are required to do a math self-assessment, which is available online through the new student portal. This assessment is purely for advisory purposes and is used only to determine placement into your first mathematics course.
All incoming students are required to do a writing self-assessment, which is available online through the new student portal. Because Goucher courses require strong writing skills, all first-year students are required to take 4 -5 credits of writing instruction.
Graduation requirements include proficiency in a foreign language at the intermediate level. The Language Placement Test is used to place you in the language course appropriate to your present knowledge and proficiency. We encourage all entering students to take the test in the language studied in high school even if they are considering beginning a different language in college.
- French Placement Exam
- German Placement Exam
- Hebrew Placement Exam (PDF, must be printed and mailed)
- Italian Placement Exam
- Spanish Placement Exam
- Russian Placement Exam: taken after you arrive on campus
No dictionaries or other sources may be used during the test. Native speakers of a foreign language should follow the recommendations listed in the documents below.
- Guidelines for native speakers of a foreign language or students taking a language not offered at Goucher
- Foreign Language Agreement
- Entering students who have not studied a language in high school need to indicate the foreign language they will study at Goucher. Click here to indicate your foreign language choice.
- Entering students who plan to study a language elsewhere need to indicate the foreign language that they intend to study. Click here to indicate what language you will study elsewhere.
- Placement exam results have an expiration date of one year. You will need to retake the placement test after two or more semesters if you have not taken the language course in which you were placed, unless you have opted to satisfy the language requirement with another language altogether.
Other related forms (including inter-institutional registration forms and non-Goucher Programs form) are available on the forms page at the Records and Registration site.
Any student wishing to take music theory is required to take a placement exam. Please email email@example.com indicating your interest. The music placement exam will take place prior to meeting with your academic adviser so that you can work with them to make any changes to your schedule. More information about the placement exam will be posted later and will be listed in the Orientation schedule booklet which you will receive when you arrive on campus.
Any student desiring to take either a ballet or modern technique class beyond the beginning level should add Dan 999 to their schedule to secure credit for dance technique classes. During Fall Orientation there will be a placement class that will determine your level of ability and you will add the appropriate dance technique classes to your schedule and remove Dan 999. The placement class will take place prior to meeting with your academic adviser so that you can work with them to make the changes. More information about the placement class will be posted later and will be listed in the Orientation schedule booklet which you will receive when you arrive on campus.
In order to prepare for placements at Fall Orientation, please fill out the form in the new student portal to register for riding evaluations. These evaluation sessions are for all students who plan to participate in riding. The results from the placements will determine which course level you will take, as well as Varsity Riding team additions. Please come prepared to ride in breeches and boots, or long pants for beginners, and a ASTM-SEI approved helmet. If you do not have a helmet, we will not be able to evaluate you during these sessions. If you have any questions at all about placements, please feel free to email Jen Bunty, Director of the Equestrian Program at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about placement exams, contact the Academic Dean's Office at AssociateProvost@goucher.edu or 410-337-6460.